Front Exhaust Header Loose

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
sprucecreek

Front Exhaust Header Loose

Post by sprucecreek »

Hello, folks. My front exhaust header is loose on the 56 Pan. I have heads that are in good shape so I don't think it is the spigot. The stock clamp is tightened all the way but it won't hold. Never had this problem before.

So I figured that I would take the front pipe off, saw some more grooves at the head end so it squashes better, use some exhaust cement on both ends and put everything back together.

But, as far as I can tell, there is no way to get the header pipe off without major disassembly of the rest of the exhaust and/or lifting the engine. (I would be happy to have someone tell me I am wrong on this point).

On to plan B.

So, I took apart a stainless steel hose clamp and used it as a shim between the stock clamp and the pipe to give the clamp more squeeze. It stayed on nicely since it had a natural bend to it. I tightened up the stock clamp with the shim underneath and the pipe seems tight. Has anyone else tried this approach, and if so how long did it last?
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Re: Front Exhaust Header Loose

Post by Lowbikemike »

The exhaust goes comes off back to front, rear pipe does not need to come off but Y pipe and squish does. No need to remove motor or mounting bolts, the pipe will snake out. Do you have the clamp that attaches to the front pipe to the right downtube above the floorboard mount? If so, your front pipe shouldn't move much regardless of how tight it is at the head.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

As stated previously, it comes apart, from the rear. I just cut up a coke can, and use that as shims, being as I don't drink. But from the read, looks like you have already figured it out.
sprucecreek

Post by sprucecreek »

Many thanks for the feedback. As it turns out, I do not have the front header to frame clamp on the bike, and I suspect that would help a lot. Does anybody have a recommendation of where I should go for it, to avoid the usual repop crap? I had a dickens of a time finding the right stainless steel clamps for my mufflers and Old Dude was recommended. A great choice.
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

No recommendation on vendors, but there are two clamps you need. One slips around the frame and the other around the pipe before they are bolted together. I'm sure the Good Old Motorcycle Parts Company sells them. Bob is a member here.
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

Some more info here as I went through a similar header mounting puzzle.
pan620
Bikes: 62 Duoglide, 48 Pan, 1990 FLHTCU

Post by pan620 »

Old dude we be a good choice for the clamps as well!

Return to “Exhaust”