Intake Manifold

Loose Stock Intake Manifold

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Tudelum48
Bikes: 1950 Harley Hydraglide

Intake Manifold

Post by Tudelum48 »

I've restored my 1950FL. I've got one issue so far the Intake doesn't seem to want to tighten up when I tighten the 2 nuts into the head? I figure there might be something different about the brass fitting so I ordered 2 new Colony brand brass ones. Still doesn't seem to want to tighten up although I haven't really got on it. Just pretty snug not tapping with a hammer or anything like that. Anyone else have this issue?
The nuts run up on the threads really smooth all the way with just the nuts so its not a tread issue. Intake is stock as far as I can tell the bike was a basket case I put together piece by piece so I guess anything is possible?
With it assembled on the bike and nuts tight it still will move up and down and side to side?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Intake Manifold

Post by RUBONE »

The manifold should not move at all when tight, and needs to be an airtight connection. See posts about bubble testing in the Knowledge Base. If you do not have an airtight connection your engine will never run right (and may not run long or at all depending on severity of leakage!), so the manifold fit is very important. Do not just start banging on the nuts, you can damage the heads. You may want to look into PEEK seals instead of the brass rings, although depending on the wear on your manifold either type may not work. What do the machined ends of the manifold look like?
Robbie
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

The brass rings need to be a perfect fit on the manifold to seal properly.
Any gap between brass ring and manifold means the manifold is worn or has been machined for under sized rings.
Tudelum48

Post by Tudelum48 »

I will put a dial indicator on it tomorrow. Evidently my manifold is worn because the new Colony brass isn't very snug. Although it doesn't look like it is. Like I said before it was a basket case and I'm using all old parts when possible.
Rubone do you have a link to the seals you mentioned?
Tudelum48

Post by Tudelum48 »

Did they make more than one manifold for those bikes?
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

tudelum48,

Tom Cotten made machined up some manifold PEEK seals for my friends 54khk. Give Tom a call.

Liberty Motorcycles Specialties Inc
118 N Washington Street
Lacon, IL 61540 - View Map
Phone: (309) 246-3509

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”