Edaddy
Bikes: 1965 Panhead
1992 Jammer frame
43" Custom Springer
1991 Std Case
STD dual-plugged heads

Clutch release rod adjusting screw

Post by Edaddy »

My winter top end rebuild is done, solved most of the carb issues and she starts, idles and runs pretty good now. Kept losing adjustment on the clutch - pulled the clutch out and the little ball bearing on the end of the clutch adjustment screw was "welded" on to the end of the clutch pushrod. Cleaned up the end of the pushrod, got a new adjustment screw, adjusted everything - 1 block away and 2 shifts and wham - no clutch again.

Pulled the clutch apart again and similar damage to the end of the clutch adjustment screw - this time the ball bearing ground off flat.
I am thinking the clutch bearing in the other side under the kicker cover is bad and the pushrod is not spinning freely - and am going to pull the kicker cover this weekend if I get a chance.

My question is this - I am looking a Harley parts listings for that adjustment screw and see both the type with the ball bearing and the type that is just flat - convex to match the concave on the clutch pushrod. Which part is correct? It is a 65 but I need to seriously try to identify the exact year on the trans while I am in there. It is a kicker with no electric start.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Clutch release rod adjusting screw

Post by RUBONE »

Factory screws never had the ball bearing end, that is an aftermarket item.
Edaddy
1992 Jammer frame
43" Custom Springer
1991 Std Case
STD dual-plugged heads

Post by Edaddy »

Awesome thanks Rubone. I will post back after disassembly with what I find inside the Kickstart cover.
FL54
Bikes: 1948 FL
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1944 BSA WM20
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I have a similar question on the steel clutch discs. I recently pulled the clutch discs out of a shovel to clean as the clutch was grabbing. I noticed that on the steel discs, several of the ball bearings were missing from the spring holders. I went ahead and cleaned and replaced which solved the grabbing problem but wondered how important the ball bearings are given everything operates properly.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Those anti rattler, ball bearings, can't be too important as later model clutches don't even have 'em. Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, they are directional with the word "OUT" engraved in the steel plates.....RooDog
Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Post by Doc37W »

Roodog, The reason the steel plates had 'out' stamped on them, was to have the balls w/springs pressed against the lug inside the clutch shell to prevent 'rattling' and banging of the plates. Ever run a open primary with the plain plates? You can hear the rattling a block away! Plus, the lugs take a beating from the plates, putting grooves in them,preventing the plates from cleanly seperating from the driven plates when disengaging the clutch. The later enclosed primarys don't let a much noise escape, so later ones may not had them. But I remember them on '80's BTs. There are kits available to repair/replace the anti-rattle ball & springs. Get them or find some others with them intact. Doc
FL54
Bikes: 1948 FL
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1944 BSA WM20
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

Thanks Doc. Will replace next time I have outer primary off. Unfortunately, this bike has the original aluminum outer primary with no derby cover so it's a little more work to get to the clutch.
Edaddy
1992 Jammer frame
43" Custom Springer
1991 Std Case
STD dual-plugged heads

Post by Edaddy »

Got the kicker cover off - one of the thrust washers in the throwout bearing stack is missing. So ordered all the parts - another week down with the weather getting better each day.

Fortunately all the pieces were laying in the bottom of the kicker compartment.

The clutch release finger is shot too.

Here is a shot of the other end of the clutch release pushrod - this is where I started - it kept chewing up the adjusting screw.

Last edited by Edaddy on Mon May 07, 2018 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edaddy
1992 Jammer frame
43" Custom Springer
1991 Std Case
STD dual-plugged heads

Post by Edaddy »

How come the pics don't show? I resized them and used the [img] tags...?

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”