Edaddy
Bikes: 1965 Panhead
1992 Jammer frame
43" Custom Springer
1991 Std Case
STD dual-plugged heads

Re: Clutch adjustment 53 Panhead hand clutch

Post by Edaddy »

Thanks for trying, did not realize at that point in the thread that it was a mousetrap. That procedure is kind of general for hand clutches.
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Doc has you on the right procedure for a mousetrap. Only addition is sometimes the mousetrap is mounted too low on the frame down tube and causes problems with binding. Less clutch plates and a 3-finger clutch will definitely help make adjustment easier.

Andygears
Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Post by Doc37W »

The 3 & 1/2 thick plates was used with the foot clutch. The half plate had a clutch lining on one side facing inward with the steel portion against the pressure plate face. The 4 thinner plates were aftermarket replacements for the foot clutch. They were thicker than the 5 hand clutch plates. I've used the 5 plates on a mousetrap set-up, but still used the foot clutch springs in order to get full lock-up in the clutch pack. Doc
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I run 5 plate clutches in everything, hand, foot, early , late. The huge increase in surface area makes everything about them function better. However I do not like 5 stud hubs and have never seen a need for a Tamer, etc in a correctly set up and aligned primary. I do have an alloy pressure plate in my 47FL with a belt primary and it has been there for 25 years although I can't say I notice any difference in function.
The 5 plate clutch was H-Ds way of reducing pull at the lever once the mousetrap went away. By adding significantly more surface area they could dramatically reduce the amount of spring pressure needed to keep it engaged and have a functional hand lever. Some of the period aftermarket clutches from Barnett were so good you could run them with half of the springs left out. I have them in a couple applications as well. A mousetrap will work with a 5plate/soft spring assembly, but adjustment is a bit trickier to equalize. As doc says the stiff springs help since H-D put such a strong spring on the mousetrap.
As with all things, careful assembly, well lubed components, and an understanding of how and why it works are very important. Adding so called "quick fix" parts is just wasting money...H-D knew what they were doing.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”