Star hub doesn’t spin freely

Wheels, hubs and tires
wgffwg
Bikes: FL

Star hub doesn’t spin freely

Post by wgffwg »

Howdy and greeting everyone, I have afew questions regarding my front starhub on my panhead. I recently rebuilt my starhub with v twin rebuild kit. After assembling the wheel back onto the fork. When I tighten the nut the wheel will lock up and doesn’t spin freely. I tried with afew other starhubs that’s lying around. Same problem I’m 100% sure the hub internal is installed correctly. ANyone here have this issue before?

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Re: Star hub doesn’t spin freely

Post by Doc37W »

Sounds like you may have added too many shims on the flanged spacer, or put too thick of a thrust washer next to the hub. The center spacer needs to stick thru the inner thrust washer(on the 'star' side) about .002"-.003" and touch the flanged spacer, so when you tighten the axle, the flanged spacer, center spacer, & brake spacer become a solid piece. The wheel hub & rollers w/cages rotate around it, with the end play set by shimming the outside thrust washer (.004"-.006") between the washer and inner 'star' cover. You may have to just rearrange the parts to get it to spin freely. Doc
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Make sure your axle isn't contacting the star cover on the right, only the inner sleeve. If the cork is brand new it will also create drag, see if it is free without it.
wgffwg
Bikes: FL

Post by wgffwg »

I checked everything seems and looks fine and properly installed, I know all star hubs are changeable but does it matter if it’s early star hub or stepped? Regards
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Make sure that when it is shimmed it is checked under compression, meaning with the axle tightened or a simulation of that. If the hub inner sleeve isn't tight against the top hat collar when checked you get a false reading and will never get end play correct.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”