Brushes

nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Brushes

Post by nmaineron »

I have a model 61, 6 volt Generator that I would like to get some brushes for. Are the brushes specific to each model generator or are there some that
fit more than one model and if so could you list them? Thanks,Ron
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Brushes

Post by Bigincher »

Not possessing that information off the top of my head, I thought I'd just look in the parts books here online and just check the fitment for Model 61 brushes.
I know the 1941-84 parts book quite well, as I have it in .pdf format on my computer. And while it isn't the best source of information, it covers a broad spectrum and is a good place to start.
So I begin to navigate my way there, clicking on the knowledge base above. Right away I see that someone has spent a great deal of time re-formatting the entire spare parts Catalog. I presume this was to make it easier than simply using the menu in the first few pages of the book.
After considerable searching with no luck, I finally had to resort to choosing 'General' because 'Generator' wasn't an option. Under 'General' I was directed to the Menu page, which is where I wanted to start in the first place.
There 'Generator' was where I wanted to go, on page 53.
Now, how do I get to page 53 from there? There was no box to enter a number, no way I could find to quickly jump to page 53.
After attempting but hitting several dead ends, I gave up and decided not to waste any more time there, but rather go to my computer and open the .pdf file and navigate from there.
And all this is just to find out about the fitment of brushes for a Model 61 generator. I am curious about the answer, that's why I'm looking.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

All two brush generators use the same brushes. Model 58, 61, 65, and 65A.
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by nmaineron »

Thanks Big, and that's why I'm asking also.I don't have any of the parts books and the only thng listed in my J & P Vintage book is a set for a 12 volt from Accel. Ebay has quite a few but nothing for the 61, I was hoping that any of the two brush gennys would carry the same brushes .
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by nmaineron »

Thanks Rob!!
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

nmaineron wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:51 pm Thanks Big, and that's why I'm asking also.I don't have any of the parts books and the only thng listed in my J & P Vintage book is a set for a 12 volt from Accel. Ebay has quite a few but nothing for the 61, I was hoping that any of the two brush gennys would carry the same brushes .
As usual, that 1941-84 parts book is just too vague and doesn't cover everything very well. I started to look in some of my other parts books, but I see you already got the info needed from someone with the information off the top of their head. I do know that the Model 32 and 52 brushes are different from each other. I just don't know if the Model 52 brushes carry over into the Model 58 and later 2-brush versions.

Return to “Generator”