Are these solid or hydraulic?

Top End (cylinders pushrods etc.)
chadu607
Bikes: 1960 Panhead Duo Glide

Are these solid or hydraulic?

Post by chadu607 »

Looking for definitive id on these lifters. I had ordered Sifton Solid Lifter kit from J&P and got these. I called J&P with the part number I ordered and was told these are solid lifters. I ordered 433-409 SIFTON STOCK SOLID LIFTER KITS. It came with rods and no adjusters (as shown in the stock photo that does not represent the item sold)
I also sent a photo to VTwin with the question and still no answer after 4 days.
I also asked a local guy who builds panheads and he is unsure since these have the spring and oil chamber.. J&P guy said this is normal for solid lifters.. I'm still unsure..
Can someone tell me for sure if these are SOLID or HYDRAULIC lifters?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: Are these solid or hydraulic?

Post by PanPal »

They sure look like a hydraulic variation to me. Kind of looks like the Velva touch style set up.
chadu607

Post by chadu607 »

Figured it out.. is hydraulic. probably not going to use them since I see a lot of negative reports here and other sites.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I hear good things about Velva touch. Not so good reports on Sifton since they were bought out. You do need to make sure your cam works with Hydraulics if you decide to run them. Looks like your looking for solids so shouldnt be a problem.
chadu607

Post by chadu607 »

This from J&P Technical Support Chat. I sent that photo of the lifters to get an ID from them.

Subject
Need instructions for installation of J&P Part: 433-409. I got the parts but no instructions came with it. what are the actual sifton part numbers for the lifters?

Chat By Chat (Joe M) (09/25/2017 10:01 AM)
Hi, my name is Joe M. One moment while I review your question.
Joe M:
One moment while I check on that for you.

Joe M: for instructions you will need a service manual - best and first tool to use with any bike job. I do not have the mpn for the lifters in the kit but jp part 433-613 may be close
Chad Underwood: I have a HD service manual. can you confirm these are SOLID lifters? these came in the kit, but appear to be hydraulic.
Joe M: they are solids - I do not see pilot holes
Chad Underwood: there is a hole on the tappet body in the black band and on the internal part that has the spring attached.
Joe M: didnt see it - give me a minute to look at something
Chad Underwood: btw.. the kit came with non - adjustable rods and no adjusters in the kit. i had to purchase adjustable rods. I have a feeling i was sent the wrong parts..
Joe M: the kit does not come with adjustable push rods - checking on the tappits now
Joe M: those a solids - the spring is the tell - the tiny hole is for oil lube
Chad Underwood: ok thanks.. I appreciate it.
Joe M: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Chad Underwood: all good.. have a great day
'Chad Underwood' disconnected ('Concluded by End-user').

So,
"Joe M: those a solids - the spring is the tell - the tiny hole is for oil lube"

.. Solid lifters that have a spring, plunger, valve and snap ring.

I can't get them adjusted properly for Hydraulic or Solid so scrapping them for actual, real ones. I'm running the stock cam so should be fine with the Hydraulics.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Pretty sharp dude over at Jay-Pee, huh.
That's the last place on earth I would ever buy anything motorcycle related from. Period.

Return to “Top End / Cylinders / Pushrods / Lifters”