Reducing primer kicks linkert float settings

Linkert related issues
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1958 FL,1958 FLH, 1964 FL

Reducing primer kicks linkert float settings

Post by Northman »

Tossing this out there wondering if....and how many linkert users have set their float less than 1/4" to aid in cold starting with less primer kicks as a result for easier starting. Taking into account the bike being in a more upright position... reducing nearly all the "california lean"

Northman
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Reducing primer kicks linkert float settings

Post by Bigincher »

I don't know about that, but I wonder how many people are using the Colony carburetor support bracket. It is made for the 1941-47 models, and is 3/16" too short to work properly on 1948-54 model. I know this doesn't apply to your '58, but I feel it's worth mentioning because it's related to your subject.
I discovered this fact when assembling the carburetor to my '52. Palmer clearly describes the differences and the reasons why. And not only is it 1/16" too short, it's 3/16" too far inboard, as well, because it doesn't allow for the extra thickness of the phenolic spacer. There is no aftermarket support bracket made that's "correct", that I know of.
Does it matter? Well, I believe the carburetor is designed to operate in a level position. After all, if the carb isn't level, neither is the float.
I installed the Linkert on my '52 using a Colony support bracket. The carb wasn't level, it tipped down at the inlet end. So I used two brackets, cut them and welded them back together so it's 3/16" taller. Bingo- carb now sits level with bike in upright position. I haven't got the bike running yet, so I can't tell if it made any difference, but logic says the carb should be level. I wonder how many people stand the bike upright and straddle it when they kick start it, too...

Sorry to hijack your thread, Carl. Back to the original question, thanks....
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

No worries Tom! That's exactly where I'm going with this! If it can eliminate and improve that's huge.
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Okay, let's reduce if not eliminate some or all the variables to prime/charge the cylinders on a cold start and Specifically to hearing the fuel being sumped or pulled up into the venture and intake including the smell of fuel associated with the prime.
How many kicks would typically be an average with the ign. Off.... to a hot start kick.

I had my float at 3/32"maybe slightly less it required 2 primer kicks. 2 .....maybe 3 tops. I did not notice any change in performance but did seem to run rich. Once I set the float to 1/4" , prime kicks increased. Performance still great maybe better. Warm and Hot starts not a factor. I'm not determining its because of the Float height change but it sure seems to point in that direction and thought I'd gather a bit more info and post findings that my or may not be beneficial yet informative.
Again,
No vacume leak presented.
Bike is near center
Low speed 3 1/4 turns out.
High speed n/a
Stock copper mesh air filter
Carb is level
Throttle closed on prime kicks
Liberty float set at 1/4

Northman
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

on my '52FL, I have always set my float at 1/4", and my routine is to use 3 prime kicks with choke fully on, throttle fully open, ignition off; then put choke at 1 click on, retard timing, ignition on, throttle about 1/3 open and usually starts on the first kick.

I have no idea if my carb bracket is stock or a reproduction. I do use the spacer/insulator block. I remember that when I bought the bike, it didn't have the insulator, and when I added it, I needed to bend the bracket to fit properly.

I'm also not sure if my carb is level when the bike is level. I'll try and check that tomorrow.
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Error in the Float height posted, was set slightly less than 3/16 ....not 3/32 .
Northman

Thanks Andy!
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

Realistically, the carb settings are best set so that it's perfect for hot running. That includes float level setting to stock spec. From there you work around those settings for cold starting with more or less priming. Hope you understand what I'm getting at...
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

I do exactly.
The float setting was a variable that I was considering. This isn't problem or an issue per say, after dialing in for peak performance it requires 2 extra primer kicks cold start, which threw me off, I was trying to start the motor the same way prior to this. Two factors involved, float height and the low speed setting. Leaning my low out slightly made my primng kicks double?? Or was it due to the float height?

With it at the current state over several days of trial starting sequences, my prime kicks are consistent as with the hot kick to start. Just takes 2 extra prime kicks...
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

my carburetor is level when the bike is level. Finally remembered to check.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

awander wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:47 pm my carburetor is level when the bike is level. Finally remembered to check.
Thanks for that info. I'm the one that is curious about that.

Return to “Linkert”