Strange Cases

Identification of case numbers and cylinder heads
speedking1949
Bikes: 49 FL

Strange Cases

Post by speedking1949 »

Is it just me, or does anyone else see a problem with these cases?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Harley-Davidson- ... SwBhxZdTvt
50 FLH.JPG
50 FLH.JPG (199.19 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Strange Cases

Post by RUBONE »

Wrong font, FLH did not yet exist, weld pits, other than that they look great!! :roll:
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Is the left case H-D or aftermarket? Inside I do not see a casting number. I think the left case may be aftermarket. Outside and inside it has some characteristics consistent with Merkel cases.

R-H case may be H-D but it is not 1950; instead it appears to be about a 54 model. Obviously this means that its 1950 belly number is fake.
Eric
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The cases don't match, the numbers are plainly bogus.
VPH-D
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Looks like the same stamps were used to re-stamp the belly numbers, as were used on the VIN...!
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Did we all notice the center punching around the right case bushing? Another reason to stay away from these! Wasn't there a factory service bulletin about drilling and set screw for the case bushing? What year was that?

Andygears
Speeding Big Twin

First model year for two screws as original was 1954. Page 109 of the 48–57 H-D SM says 54FLE2077 was the first to have its right crankcase bushing locked in place with screws #24608-54. The SM also mentions the drill jig. Shop Dope 348 apparently contains description of new bearing assembly #29650-54 which was used as of 54FL5010. In Classic Harley Big Twins, Greg Field mentions Shop Dope 348A.
Eric
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Thanks, Eric. The right case has the lifter screen screw so that's later than '50 but earlier than mid-54. The seller I've seen before on e-bay, he takes apart the bikes he gets and parts them out. Sometimes in his ads he will show the bike pre-disassembly. So I'm thinking he bought the bike this way, with title. But the buyer who builds these into a bike may have a problem when he registers it. Somebody did a pretty good felonious job welding and restamping these cases.

Andygears
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

The seller is Mach IV Motors; my friends and I fondly refer to him as "The Butcher". Yes, he buys lots and lots of motorcycles of all makes, and parts them all out. He doesn't really know a lot about Harleys. If he purchased a bike that was titled as a '61, say, then every part pulled off that bike he lists as a '61. He doesn't know any better, and since he moves dozens (maybe hundreds) of parts every week, he's not going to take the time to do research.
I've bought quite a few items from him that were listed incorrectly. Most all the bikes he parts out are worthy of such a demise, bitsa bikes that are a hodgepodge of parts.
One bike he dismantled was a WL that someone had slapped a glide front end on. He listed the front end as something like "WL Glide Forks". Ha! I bought the whole front end cheap, like $200, and they were the early sliders, correct for '52.
I've also heard of some people having trouble with him, and gave him bad ratings, for whatever reason. I can't speak about that.
So don't blame the seller, he doesn't really know what he's selling; he's just moving a high volume of used parts.
Speeding Big Twin

Cheers Andy. Provision for the lifter screen, combined with the generator cradle, indicated the case was somewhere from mid/later-52 thru 57. But the lack of an oil return channel at top rear of the case meant it was no earlier than a 53 model.

I can’t read the casting number but I imagine it is 24563-53. The bushing screws, accompanied by that casting number, suggested 54, although sometimes the screws are found in 53 (and earlier) cases. It would be good to read the date code because I don’t yet know how long 24563-53 was used before changing to 24563-53A.

As for the left case, I’m still wondering if it may be Merkel due to certain features outside and inside—for example, the shape of the casting at the bolt hole just left of the front upper reinforcement rib. I also have pictures of another AM left case with that style of casting and certain other similar characteristics but it has raised letters MDM inside it. (I don’t know what MDM represents.)
Eric
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

I notice a bearing in the cam hole,when did that appear in the engine run?

Speaking of the seller,I have a few things from him.I wonder where all the stuff that doesn't get sold on eBay goes.He must have a gold mine in small parts...
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The needle bearing on the cam was a new for '58 feature along with the larger pinion bearing. However needle bearings can easily be adapted to earlier cases.

Return to “Cases / Heads”