60 FL with SS Oil Pump: Oil leaking UPDATE

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
docmel

60 FL with SS Oil Pump: Oil leaking UPDATE

Post by docmel »

Update to my original post. New rebuild, 60 FL with new SS oil pump. I had the oil lines misrouted and as a result, oil filled up the crank and pumped out of crank breather

I got an oil route diagram of the web, (sorry, dont have it) and routed as such. I just cranked it up, and after about 2-3 qts pumped out of the crank breather, I shut it down and looked at the oil level in the oil bag: ALMOST EMPTY, so..........

If someone could post a no joke oil line routing digram for 60 FL, SS oil pump, no oil cooler or filter, with a horsehoe oil tank, I would be grateful. I need to compare my oil line routing
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Re: 60 FL with SS Oil Pump: Oil leaking UPDATE

Post by Lowbikemike »

It somewhat depends on which S&S pump you have. Your best resource is the S&S website. They have all the information about pump identification and the oil line routings.
docmel

Post by docmel »

Its a SS 31-6059.

I triple chekced the SS site, the top oil line fittings on the pump body ARE hooked up correctly.

Inner most fitting (return) to top vent line on oil bag, middle fitting (feed line) gravity feed of oil from oil bag.

I jut fired her up again, and sure enough, fresh oil from the oil bag are puking right out of the crankcase breather
docmel

Post by docmel »

So I am thinking: By the SS website, I have the feed and return lines hooked up correctly at the oil pump.

The only other way those two lines can be changed is by just switching them. Worth a chance?
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Post by panheadrider1961 »

docmel the original panhead pump had a metering screw for the oil to hit the primary chain, this is where you should look if oil lines are correct how does new pump meter the oil?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Docmel, post a picture of your pump, your description doesn't jive.
docmel

Post by docmel »

Ill try to clear it up

My SS oil pump Iis hooked up correctly, judging by the pics on the SS site

But fresh oil from the horshoe oil bag ends up puking the oil out the crankcase tube on the primary side. Its crazy

So my question now:

There are only two lines that attach to the pump. The gravity feed and the return to the tank: I'm thinking I just switch the two and all would be OK?
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Did you have this diagram: S&S oil pump oil hole identification
docmel

Post by docmel »

panhead: Thats exactly the page I visited, my thanks for taking the time to link it. My lines are hooked up exactly like the pump on the far left (Thats the model I have). Return on top left, feed line in the middle top

I cant for the life of me figure out why oil is going straight from the oil tank and right into the crank. I'm talking when I fire the engine up it will pump 2-3 quarts right from the oil tank and immediately out the primary side breather in about 2 minutes.

I have checked the check ball, but this isnt a case of sumping over a day or so of just sitting. This is oil going right from the oil bag and right out the crank breather

Its aggravating: I'm so close to completing this build that has taken me almost 2 years to complete due to work and $$$

It got to be the oil pump, why I cant figure out. Im planning to call SS mon, maybe they can help
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I remember a S&S pump I put on my 49 that required a new passage be drilled, Probably not your issue, just thought I'd mention it...
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

You know you have to drill the case to run a S&S pump.
docmel

Post by docmel »

Yep: Cases need to be drilled. SO heres the deal. Another person did the rebuild, to include installing the pump. I beleive that the next check. Was it installed right?
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Scavange pump not pumping, any oil added to crankcase comes out breather, with the plugs out does the motor kick over "Heavy" like the cases are full of oil? New pump or not, does the oil pump out the return line? Maybe a tolerance stack up or too thick gaskets or sheared off or forgotten key but it seems nothing is pumping the oil out as fast as it comes in and the relief is the breather.

Just my 2 cents
Andygears
docmel

Post by docmel »

Motor turns over fine. Starts and runs fine until I shut it off due to low oil level. It takes about 2 minutes for 2-3 qts to puke out. I cant say if any oil is actually returning. I believe its time to remove the oil pump and see whats up
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

I would agree with you, but first run it, run over to te oil bag, look in and see if you see any little bubbles. You can call S&S and sometimes actually get someone who might be of some assistance. Check you ball bearings, springs etc.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/show ... hp?t=56394

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”