Leaking oil

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
wlh1950
Panhead Register Member

Leaking oil

Post by wlh1950 »

I have an Electra-Glide oil pump on my 1954 panhead (see picture). She leaks quite some oil from the front chain oiler when running, but also when standing still. How can I regulate the front chain oiler and where could the oil come from when standing still? There is no leakage from the gearbox or the front sprocket.
oilpump2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: Leaking oil

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Your check ball leaking, passing oil. Couple solutions, google them or go to the knowledge bas.
When it leaks after sitting, means she's sumping.
wlh1950
Panhead Register Member

Post by wlh1950 »

Thank you for your reply.
When it leaks after sitting, means she's sumping.
I know, but it's leaking when sitting.
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Post by panheadrider1961 »

wlh1950 the screw with what looks like a brass spacer above the sending unit is that what you have tied in to meter oil to primary chain, if so you should be able to adjust flow to chain ,if that is what is being used , other part about leaking when sitting are you saying it comes out of primary chain oiler ? you know that if you have original tins on primary the oil that is used to wet chain comes out of tube onto ground when it is not running is this what you are talking about? the book specs a 1/4 turn on a panhead oil pump you can take off outer cover and adjust by watching drip if you have to ,it doesnt need much but not good to make it to dry just trying to help
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

That is exactly what sumping is, the check balls are not sealing off the gravitational flow of oil and it slowly fills the crankcase when sitting. Once it is started it blows out the crankcase breather tube into the primary. The front chain oiler on your pump used to be where that screw is in the top of the pump. It was just an unregulated tube on Shovelheads and the way it is now it does not function at all. So all the oil you are getting is leakage, not the chain oiler. Do Not attempt to close off the tube into the primary however, as the breather needs it to function properly.
Lots of info in the knowledge base (see the top of your screen!).
Robbie
panheadrider1961

the slotted screw on pump back plate with your in and return hoses if that were on a shovelhead that is where the primary feed comes from, did you change the pump yourself or someone else?
panheadrider1961

ok rubone explained while i was typing good deal
OLD WUN
Bikes: 1965 FLH
1946 INDIAN
1958 FLH
2003 SOFTAIL
1941 WR hill climber
1948 WR flat tracker
1972 XR-750

Post by OLD WUN »

panheadrider1961 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:16 pm wlh1950 the screw with what looks like a brass spacer above the sending unit is that what you have tied in to meter oil to primary chain, if so you should be able to adjust flow to chain ,if that is what is being used , other part about leaking when sitting are you saying it comes out of primary chain oiler ? you know that if you have original tins on primary the oil that is used to wet chain comes out of tube onto ground when it is not running is this what you are talking about? the book specs a 1/4 turn on a panhead oil pump you can take off outer cover and adjust by watching drip if you have to ,it doesnt need much but not good to make it to dry just trying to help
I have a 49 and a 58 Panhead that really drip a lot of oil when sitting. I would say about an ounce a day. It appears due to oil pump check ball issue. Anybody know of who can seat the balls by one method or another to stop this or slow it down. I have a 65 Pan that rarely drips so I know it can be much better. I heard there was someone who specialized in this and was able to seat the balls. Please let me know if you can help or else I plan to buy an oil well to keep up.
Wrong Road
Bikes: 1960 FLHF
1975 FLHP

Post by Wrong Road »

If you're losing an ounce a day when the bike is sitting it doesn't sound like a check ball issue. That just results in a puddle of oil going to the primary when you turn over the engine. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere else. The only constant sources of oil are the oil tank/filter and transmission.
OLD WUN
Bikes: 1965 FLH
1946 INDIAN
1958 FLH
2003 SOFTAIL
1941 WR hill climber
1948 WR flat tracker
1972 XR-750

Post by OLD WUN »

It's coming out the primary drain tube.
jobo12
Bikes: 1973 FLH
1998 XL 1200
1948 Panhead (gone)

Post by jobo12 »

OLD WUN wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:18 pm I have a 49 and a 58 Panhead that really drip a lot of oil when sitting. I would say about an ounce a day. It appears due to oil pump check ball issue. Anybody know of who can seat the balls by one method or another to stop this or slow it down. I have a 65 Pan that rarely drips so I know it can be much better. I heard there was someone who specialized in this and was able to seat the balls. Please let me know if you can help or else I plan to buy an oil well to keep up.
OLD WUN, the method I have used is to remove the check valve spring, take a long-nosed drift punch, place it on the check valve, and rap it with a small ball-peen hammer. You strike it LIGHTLY-- the aluminum is soft and will crack. But it will also deform to the shape of the check ball and make a much better seal. Remember to discard the old ball and spring & use new ones. My shovelhead used to wet-sump, now it don't. Don't remember who told me how to do it-- just an old "fix", I guess.
My apologies for hijacking the thread,
Joe

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”