Problem tightening front axle on hydra glide

Wheels, hubs and tires
wgffwg
Bikes: FL

Problem tightening front axle on hydra glide

Post by wgffwg »

Hi guys! I having trouble with my front axle on my front wheel. The moment I tighten the small nut on the left brake side, the wheel will jam up and doesn't spin. I'm not sure what's the problem, everything looks pretty complete to me. Does anyone here experience the same problem? Am I missing out an extra spacer or smth?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Problem tightening front axle on hydra glide

Post by RUBONE »

Show a picture of the right side of the hub as well. The axle must only contact the center sleeve in the hub. Was the hub end play set correctly? If not it can bind up.
And those bowed spokes indicate the rim was not drilled correctly for that style hub. You may experience breakage problems.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Why didn't you scold him for not doing an intro, Rubone? You're slipping.
wgffwg

Post by wgffwg »

Bigincher wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:07 pm Why didn't you scold him for not doing an intro, Rubone? You're slipping.
My apologies! It's my first time here too! Have a good weekend
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

wgffwg wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:33 am
Bigincher wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:07 pm Why didn't you scold him for not doing an intro, Rubone? You're slipping.
My apologies! It's my first time here too! Have a good weekend
No problem, wgffgw. Most new people don't realize that it's good form to do a little intro to tell us something about yourself, so we can better understand how to help you with your questions. If you get a chance, it wouldn't hurt to do that.
wgffwg

Post by wgffwg »

RUBONE wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:40 pm Show a picture of the right side of the hub as well. The axle must only contact the center sleeve in the hub. Was the hub end play set correctly? If not it can bind up.
And those bowed spokes indicate the rim was not drilled correctly for that style hub. You may experience breakage problems.
Hey RUBONE, thanks for the quick respond. I believe the hub end play is set correctly but again I might be wrong. Here's the pic of the right side of the hub looks like.

Thanks
wgffwg

Post by wgffwg »

Right side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1958 FL,1958 FLH, 1964 FL

Post by Northman »

Just currious, how did you check your end play and how much was there?

Northman
wgffwg

Post by wgffwg »

Northman wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:03 pm Just currious, how did you check your end play and how much was there?

Northman

Hi Northman, thanks for your respond. Right now I have four shim spacer on the star side. May I ask how much end play do I need? Should I remove or add more shims?

Thanks
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

There are washers/shims for setting up your end play to have proper spacing # 27. Not enough space and everything will lock up upon tightening on the inside. Shims are added or removed to adjust thrust /end play. If possible get a service manual, make sure you have what is needed in your hub. Add or subtract shims as needed to create correct clearance. I believe they are .002 thick each. I always put my axle in a vice, put spacers of some sort over the axle that contact the inner part only, too large diameter will contact the hub and lock....then the wheel.... then more spacer/s whatever is needed to take up the space on axle. Then I tighten the nut and use I dial gage to to read the distance or play as I pull up on the wheel. Your service manual walks you through it. Get one it'll be your best friend. Hope this made some sense for you? I may have left out some details being in hurry to get out the door here, someone may hop in and explain more...

Northman
20170709_080414_HDR.jpg
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

As Northman alluded to, the only way to check endplay is with the hub under compression. So it needs to be assembled with an axle and spacers or some other means to mimic being under load. Otherwise there is no way to tell if it is shimmed properly. The endplay can be felt and measured when all is tightened up, not before.
wgffwg

Post by wgffwg »

Northman wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:31 pm There are washers/shims for setting up your end play to have proper spacing # 27. Not enough space and everything will lock up upon tightening on the inside. Shims are added or removed to adjust thrust /end play. If possible get a service manual, make sure you have what is needed in your hub. Add or subtract shims as needed to create correct clearance. I believe they are .002 thick each. I always put my axle in a vice, put spacers of some sort over the axle that contact the inner part only, too large diameter will contact the hub and lock....then the wheel.... then more spacer/s whatever is needed to take up the space on axle. Then I tighten the nut and use I dial gage to to read the distance or play as I pull up on the wheel. Your service manual walks you through it. Get one it'll be your best friend. Hope this made some sense for you? I may have left out some details being in hurry to get out the door here, someone may hop in and explain more...

Northman20170709_080414_HDR.jpg
Hi Northman thanks for your overwhelming respond, I took the hub away today on the starside and removed some shims, originally I was using 4.

So here's the outcome. First I removed 2 and used 2, wheel spins and doesn't lock up after tightening but the wheel still feels abit tight when I spin it.

Then I removed 3 and only used 1, wheel spins very nicely and doesn't lock up after tightening but the wheel is shaking abit (as if I'm not using any axle spacer.) I'm not sure if there's normal.

So I put 1 back in and now using 2. With 2 shims the wheel is not spinning very freely but it doesn't shake at all.

Please advice, should I use 2 or just 1 shims? I don't have a dial gauge to measure

Thankyou
wgffwg

Post by wgffwg »

RUBONE wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:35 pm As Northman alluded to, the only way to check endplay is with the hub under compression. So it needs to be assembled with an axle and spacers or some other means to mimic being under load. Otherwise there is no way to tell if it is shimmed properly. The endplay can be felt and measured when all is tightened up, not before.
Noted that! Thanks for your advice RUBONE!
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Your wheel should spin free and smooth no shaking. Let's back up here a bit....
Has the hub been rebuilt? As in inspected to start with? Again you could have multiple things going on here, your hub components could be wore goofy and your rollers also. I would never run a wheel without going through it first and wouldn't tell you to. And as Rubone mentioned the bowed spokes are a red flag right off the bat. Remember you are going to ride this thing... it's your life, things happen.... Its nearly impossible to walk you through a rebuild without looking at this. If your questioning anything, find a shop that works on these, have them look at it, price it out, compare it to an aftermarket or replica and decide from there. After all if you have no way to mic. Your Rollers or a way to gauge your thrust your better off having it done professionally. Not trying to brow beat you, just give you solid advice.

Northman
wgffwg

Post by wgffwg »

Found out that my first thrust spacer is not sitting on my bearing rollers and it's rubbing my shell when I tighten the outer axle nut. Could be the wrong sleeve size or I need taller bearings

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”