Panhead frame repair

Chassis, frame, instruments, fenders etc.
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Backseatsurvival
Bikes: 56 pan
79 cone shovel

Panhead frame repair

Post by Backseatsurvival »

Hello all! This is my first post and may have a question that has already been answered so I apologize if so. Last week I pulled this what I believe is a 1956 panhead frame ? from the bushes for 50 bucks here in California. There is a split in the frame by the motor mount and seat post and also a hole on the rear fender mount. I will not be sending to a frame shop to have fixed but do have a father in law who is a very experienced welder. My question is anyone came across this issue and besides a frame jig to keep straight which I don't have but what would you guys suggest to do about the split/crack to tell my welder and if you guys can tell by looking at the photos of it is an 56 any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I'll have another post up about some 48,59,61 pan tanks I picked up as well

Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Panhead frame repair

Post by Bigincher »

I'd take it back to the weed patch and see if I can get my money back.

What are you trying to do with the frame? If you want to restore it to original, it will take for more skill than any 'welder' has, regardless of how good he is.
If you just want to 'fix' it so you can make it useable, even that will be a challenge. The break in the backbone looks like a stress fracture rather than an intentional cut. The backbone should be straight, but looks to have a huge hump in it. How will you straighten it? Looks like the fender support crossover is rusted through. Will you replace it? How corroded is the rest of the frame?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

In front of the backbone break on the upper right side of the top motor mount should be a stamped date code which consists of one letter and one number. Is it still legible? That will be your first chance at dating it.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

There's a lot of rust going on , the thing that's scary is how much
Damage is there you can't see yet , don't want the neck breaking off at 70 . I'd bring it back to the weed patch too .

Adam
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

I wouldn't trust any of the tubing.I would try and salvage all of the cast pieces.
[josh]
Bikes: 52 FL
66 FLH
40 UL

Post by [josh] »

Its pretty bad... but Ive saved worse. Interested, if you decide to dump it back in the weeds....
Backseatsurvival
79 cone shovel

So I see the letter d and maybe what looks to be a 3 above the motor mount. No weed patch for this guy I'll hang in garage if anything the only rust/cancer and damage area is what shown in the two photos everything else is very strong. I would like to get this back on the road. I will not be powder coating I will leave it with its patina on it. Just want to fix cross over and the main break in the tube.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

You can tap on the frame tubes with a soft-blow hammer, then turn it upsidedown and see what comes out the steering head. The bottom legs and backbone are open all they way through. If a bunch of rust scale comes out, you'll know that the integrity of the tubing has been compromised. The amount of junk that comes out might give an indication of it's usability.
The break in the backbone has been broken and welded before. There's some stress in the frame that's causing that, some weird frame geometry defect. Perhaps if the hump in the backbone is brought back to straight, it will close up that gap.
If you're planning on running conventional tanks and instrument panel, you'll need to replace the dash base casting, at least. There are other issues, of course- the lower fender mount is busted, and there are some extra tabs welded on that need cleaned up. It's been raked and possibly de-raked before, as well.
Surprisingly, the footboard tabs are intact, and the welds at the motor/trans casting near the bottom of the seatpost tube look good. Generally, it probably looks worse than it is.
D3 would indicate a manufacture date of April 1953, which seems a bit early for a '54 straightleg frame. Eric (Speedingbigtwin) will have a lot of insight on the matter.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Backseatsurvival wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 pm ...I will leave it with its patina on it....
Wow-is that really what you consider a "patina"? To each his own, I guess......
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Welcome to the forum. As Tom said, April 53 seems a bit early for a 54 straight-leg frame. For wishbone frames made in 53 I have photo examples as late as Dec (3L). And I also have a few wishbone examples from Jan 54 (4A).

Can you clean the area with the date code and post a photo of it please.

On the left side of the seat post tube are there two small welded-on blocks? If so, they may be threaded. For 55-earlier model frames the thread was 5/16”-18 but for 56-later models the thread was 3/8”-24.

Also examine closely all the forgings and let us know if you find any numbers, letters, hallmarks etc.
Eric
Backseatsurvival
79 cone shovel

Yes I'll post photo in a couple hours I re looked at it last night quickly but it was dark and all I could clearly make out was a D the 3 I believed was a scratch haha so I will drag it out to the sun at lunch time.
Backseatsurvival
79 cone shovel

Here some more pictures

Backseatsurvival
79 cone shovel

Stamp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I don't think you're looking in the right place for the date code.
I made this clumsy image to show you where to look; the arrow points to the area on the right side of the top motor mount where the date code stamp should be located. Can you wire-wheel the area or otherwise clean it up and see if you can find the stamped letter and number?
YyJI5w.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Would you bet your life on this frame, even after repairs were completed?....bosheff

Return to “Chassis, Frame & Instruments”