'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Re: carb sputter / sneeze linkert

Post by Excalibur »

Northman wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:00 am On idle the line is smack center in the hole.
Center of hole??
I set my timing like the pic below. FL/FLH (visible in right side of window). Earlier I verified my mark with a degree wheel.
pan timing_zpsidquzksd.jpg
Could be worth setting yours to this? That said if your octane is quite low and/or compression high, it may be better to run a tad less advance?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1958 FL,1958 FLH, 1964 FL

Post by Northman »

Yes prior to bringing it up to 2000 rpms timing Mark (line) center of hole. When I be out the rpms up to 2000 2100 area line moved to left side of hole ( g ga) area and held there.

Now.... after new adjustment , prior to bringing engine up to 2000 rpm it's to the right, (FL. FLH) timing mark as book indicates. Bring it up to correct rpm and line is center of hole. I had hoped that the timing mark would have remained as steady in the new area but does slightly move untill rpms are brought up correct. Not horrible, never disappears, just not as nice as prior setting but I can live with it. I haven't test rode and re checked it again. Sounds good I will admit. Different exhaust tone. crisp.
Noticed that immediately. If anything it's better than it was despite the pain in the ass doing it and if the engine runs cooler because of it and that only, I consider it a good thing.

Any thoughts?
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

It sounds like you've enjoying some good improvement in performance.

Yes, I noticed my timing moves toward retard with some revs however I only strobe check timing at idle. (Manual advance timer).

OK, so I suppose the big question is: has the engine quit sneezing?
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Here's where it's at as of now.

1.Changed where I purchased my gas and rode 200 miles and ran with no issues. No hiccups/sneeze.
2.strobe light my timing after changing gas which was and has been retarded, adjusted accordingly and set to light.
3. Ran the motor and noticed an improvement in throttle response and sound.

I haven't found anything else related. Once I get my kicker gear related items back together (other post) I 'll do more test riding for a few days and see if anything surfaces. I think the issue may be resolved, poor gas, probably corn in it and timing combination.

Northman
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Just a quick update on the results...
Absolutely no carb sneeze now, changing gas stations and the timing adjustment seem to have rectified what was going on. Starting sequence is basically the same, cold 2 primes full choke, choke off one run thru to find compression and starts.The exception is when warm one click on the choke lever on the 1 hot kick provides the best ignition. This is on the jiffy stand, chances are on the center stand it wouldn't need that extra....? Have to find out.

Definite improvement in engine performance on the top end due to timing adjustment also Smoother running across the board. Carb settings remain the same. Thanks for the advice to all.

Northman

Return to “Linkert”