mousetrap help needed

dadeamann
Bikes: 1973 flh 1953 fle

mousetrap help needed

Post by dadeamann »

Hello from Milwaukee,

I've got a 1953 FL with a mousetrap. the bike is completely stock. I've been having issues with this mousetrap since day one and its really starting to annoy me.

I've replaced the mousetrap spring, clutch springs, and push rod. it seems that no matter what i do i cannot get the mousetrap to retract all the way back. the only way to get it to return all the way is to have the push rod adjusting bolt really tight which causes the push rod to always be in contact with the adjusting bolt, which causes both the push rod and adjusting bolt to get worn down. I've followed the maintenance book procedure as best i can and still cant get it right. warm weathers right around the corner and i wanna ride!

any and all help is appreciated
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Re: mousetrap help needed

Post by panhead_kicker »

When you state the bike is completely stock, that shuts down a lot of possible problems. How certain are you that each piece related to this procedure is indeed stock? If you have things apart, some pictures may be in order. How many steel clutch plates do you have?
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Check the placement on the frame, look down the, or parallel to the frame, see if the actual placement is not out or in, it may be the placement is binding the actuation up. seen that a few times, hope my prosaic description affords some help. Once its right you can actually get them to pull with two fingers.
dadeamann

Post by dadeamann »

i will check the alignment too. thanks.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

I would first reduce the tension on the mousetrap spring until it will always go back to fully "retracted" when you release the clutch lever. You might be surprised how little difference in feel you will get when the spring is either really tight, or not as tight.

On my '52, there is a "sweet spot" where the clutch lever has some play in it, and this makes it easier to pull the lever in-if it is way out from the handlebar, it is harder to pull in. If it is too close to the handlebar when at rest, it won't be able to fully release the clutch.

When you get it right, it will truly be a two-finger pull.
dadeamann

Post by dadeamann »

awander wrote:I would first reduce the tension on the mousetrap spring until it will always go back to fully "retracted" when you release the clutch lever. You might be surprised how little difference in feel you will get when the spring is either really tight, or not as tight.

On my '52, there is a "sweet spot" where the clutch lever has some play in it, and this makes it easier to pull the lever in-if it is way out from the handlebar, it is harder to pull in. If it is too close to the handlebar when at rest, it won't be able to fully release the clutch.

When you get it right, it will truly be a two-finger pull.

ive actually loosened it all the way and it will not return past the TDC of the mousetrap. the only way i can get it to return all the way is to turn the pushrod adjusting bolt in untill its always in contact with the pushrod. which is not good. ive actually welded the ball bearing to the pushrod when i first got this bike together.

it seems as though i can never get the clutch springs to over come the mousetrap spring.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Sounds like you need to adjust the length of the rod that goes from the mousetrap to the clutch arm.
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

Make sure you have the right clutch springs for a panhead. They are different from the non mousetrap shovel head clutch springs. If im not mistaken , i thnk they are shorter.
dadeamann

Post by dadeamann »

socalrider wrote:Make sure you have the right clutch springs for a panhead. They are different from the non mousetrap shovel head clutch springs. If im not mistaken , i thnk they are shorter.
thank you, i got a new set and made sure they are correct.
bigbox
Bikes: Panhead 1959. Dirt bikes, current 2013 Switchback 73 Norton and 79 Triumph

Post by bigbox »

Is the push rod in the correct way?
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Shitcan the adjuster with the "ball bearing' stuck in it and go to an oem piece. As noted earlier, the adjuster should not make contact with the pushrod except when the clutch is disengaged....bosheff
dadeamann

Post by dadeamann »

ok figured it out. a buddy of mine mentioned his dad had the same issues with his 65. he told me to raise the mousetrap up on the frame. i had mine way too low so i guess the geometry was a little off. after i did that all i had to do was give the clutch cable a little more slack by turning in the coil adjusting sleeve in.

thanks for the help and i hope this helps someone in the future.
Tattoo58
Bikes: 1958FL and a 1981FXWG

Post by Tattoo58 »

I was able to get my mousetrap working great with a 3" open belt drive barnette plates and springs. It took a little trial and error to get it that way. 2 finger pull. It's all about getting spring tensions correct and linkage length correct and push rod adjustment and cable slack. A combination of these adjustments got my 2 finger pull and it was trial and error because the mousetrap was never designed to operate a belt drive with heavier clutch springs so there's no manual with starting adjustments. But it can be done with patience.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

kewl, very kewl. Placement of the frame, as i wrote earlier.
dadeamann wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 1:08 am ok figured it out. a buddy of mine mentioned his dad had the same issues with his 65. he told me to raise the mousetrap up on the frame. i had mine way too low so i guess the geometry was a little off. after i did that all i had to do was give the clutch cable a little more slack by turning in the coil adjusting sleeve in.

thanks for the help and i hope this helps someone in the future.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”