timing troubles

All ignition related articles
Bsimmons1
Bikes: 65 panhead

timing troubles

Post by Bsimmons1 »

so i got my motor back after being completely rebuilt and im having a issue with the timing that ive never had with the bike. i have a auto advance and when i go to set the timing and i advance it the timing plate is fully advanced and its hitting the lobe and setting the light off almost as soon as i advance it. no where close to the top of the lobe. so my question is does the light need to be going off at the highest point of the skinny lobe? ive pulled the auto advance up to try and repostion the lob to get more room for timing but its not working is it possible that one of my cam gears are off a tooth? any advice will help thanks
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: timing troubles

Post by 1950Panhead »

The plugs fire when the points open, the points should open when the timing mark is in the window with full advance set and valves closed on front cylinder.
Bsimmons1

Post by Bsimmons1 »

thanks i get most of that its just bugging me that when its set my points plate is fully advanced i have no more room to advance the points if it needed to be
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Probably the timer was stabbed a tooth off.
Bsimmons1

Post by Bsimmons1 »

ive tried pulling the timer up and resetting a tooth over but im still having the same issue i can try it again
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Are you saying that moving it one tooth didn't change it? Surely it's not two teeth off. Is it?
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Two teeth off, would render the advance completely off. But I am no expert.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Buddhahoodvatoloco wrote:Two teeth off, would render the advance completely off. But I am no expert.
It's an auto-advance unit, Ruben, so I don't know if it would or not.
Bsimmons, are you setting the timing in the fully advanced position?
Bsimmons1

Post by Bsimmons1 »

i am advancing it and and trying to set it that way. should i not be? thats just how ive always set the timing
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Yah, you got it. I just don't know what's causing your issue, sorry....
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

From reading your post you are approaching it wrong. The full advance is NOT at the highest point of the cam, it is at the position where the points first start to open. The gap is set on the high point, but that is not the position for timing. When the mark is in the hole, the points previously set to correct gap, the advance unit held to full advance, the position where the light triggers is the correct full advance timing position, usually just at the leading edge of the points cam.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Be sure your setting on the correct side of the lobe. I use a light bulb with wires soldered to the bulb. You mentioned full advance and light comes on. The way i do it the bulb goes out when the points start to open full advance, i timing mark in the window. I once struggled setting on the wrong side without knowing.
Bsimmons1

Post by Bsimmons1 »

RUBONE wrote:From reading your post you are approaching it wrong. The full advance is NOT at the highest point of the cam, it is at the position where the points first start to open. The gap is set on the high point, but that is not the position for timing. When the mark is in the hole, the points previously set to correct gap, the advance unit held to full advance, the position where the light triggers is the correct full advance timing position, usually just at the leading edge of the points cam.
ok thanks i was concerned that it needed to be going off at the highest point. thats what was throwing me off i should know that by now. thanks again
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The exact position of ignition occurs when the points break. This has zero to do with points gap. The gap is all about dwell time, the amount of dwell (called "angle of dwell") determines the amount of time for the coil saturation. The saturation affects the spark voltage. Gap is generally determined by the needs of the system in terms of basic spark intensity, and is calculated based on the system requirements. Timing is calculated based on stroke and valve timing so that optimum ignition occurs at the point that the engine can make best use of it taking into account crank location, estimated time of flame travel, etc.
Glad you got it sorted.
Robbie

Return to “Ignition”