Linkert related issues
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Linkert Mounting Bolts

Post by drinner-okc »

OK, I'm working on a friends 65, changing back to the Linkert from an S&S. This is the bike I went with the current owner to Florida in 2011 to pick up and spent 3 days in the Keys getting familiar with.
We had to replace the main nozzle( someone drilled a hole just above the inside of the venturi,
it was weak, bent and would not reinstall. We got the nozzle, needle and seat, and air cleaner mounting bracket from Into the Wilderness. (someone 'modified' the original mount and backing plate to use the Linkert round cover on the S&S) I had one of Tom Cotten's 'Durable' floats and the oem lever was good.
Anyway, we went to install it today with a James spacer kit. I can only find 2 part numbers for mounting bolts the 3/4" one (27422-39) and the 27424-48. His bolts were missing, so I had a set of used 27424-48 in my stash and took them. With the James Spacer Kit the bolts only catch a couple threads. Was there a different bolt not listed in my reprint parts book (1958-1968) or is there another solution?
Pete808
Bikes: 42 WLA
47 EL
47 UL
52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Re: Linkert Mounting Bolts

Post by Pete808 »

I ran into the same problem, so I'm interested in seeing what the correct response to this is because I ended up just taking out the lock washers so that more threads would catch. Not sure if that is a good idea but so far it's held up.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

If you are using the James Gasket Intake Manifold Spacer Kit - 4-Bolt Linkert Carburetors JGI-29250-55, the 27424-48 which are 15/16" Long should work with the lock washers.
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

Pete808 wrote:I ran into the same problem, so I'm interested in seeing what the correct response to this is because I ended up just taking out the lock washers so that more threads would catch. Not sure if that is a good idea but so far it's held up.
It's not a good idea to run without the lock washers. Without them, the bolts will loosen up. On my pan, with the insulating block and gaskets plus lock washers, I was catching only a couple of threads in the Linkert, so I did what you did -- eliminate the lock washers. After a couple of times noticing that the carb had gotten loose, I went down to the nearby Lowe's and got four bolts of the right pitch, and put them in, with the lock washers.

There's kind of a fine line on tightening those bolts -- too tight and you risk bending the flange on the carb. Too loose, and the carb will come loose.

I still have the OEM bolts. When I can find the right length OEM bolts I'lll get a set, but I'll use the non-OEM ones in the meantime.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

As far as I know there are 2 lengths of carb bolts for the 4 bolt style linkert.
The 27424-48 and the 27422-39. The bolt needed with the spacer is obviously longer.
I would contact olddude.com for the correct bolt fitment, size, part number etc. He has them.
Jim M

Return to “Linkert”