Tappet Oil Screen Help

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Cray2751
Bikes: 58flh 57fl 69fl Evosporty Chop

Tappet Oil Screen Help

Post by Cray2751 »

I have a tappet screen like i have never seen before. In my 59, I am running solid lifters with the old spring and witches hat. In my 58 that I recently just picked up, has something I have never seen. When I pulled the plug, it did not have a spring or ball. It had a filter in a sleeve that the filter had a notch and the sleeve looked to be peened over. I had to spin the filter 180 degrees to line up with the notch and pull it out with a pick. The sleeve was in there and did not move, I tried to pull it out or see if it moved. I cleaned the filter and assembled it the way it came out but I am not sure what I have. There is no lifter noise so I assume they are filling up with oil. I have attached a few pictures to see if that will help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Tappet Oil Screen Help

Post by RUBONE »

That is just a stock early filter. See the parts book..
https://www.hydra-glide.net/kb/parts/41 ... 54_029.php
Cray2751
Bikes: 58flh 57fl 69fl Evosporty Chop

Re: Tappet Oil Screen Help

Post by Cray2751 »

Well I have good news and bad news. From spending most of the night working in the garage, I was able to get it free. Someone down the line put the set up in upside down. The new problem that has presented itself is that the old cork gaskets have all deteriorated and are in pieces and stuck to the walls. Any suggestions on getting that out?

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”