Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Paysonpan
Bikes: 63 FLH
55 FL
honda 90

ignition switch question

Post by Paysonpan »

I have several Panhead ignition switches and would like to know how to determine original from repo
Im getting close to having my 55 FL ready for spring after many years of down time. Also is it possible to have a switch re keyed as none have
keys?
A few I have are in the off position and will not turn. Others move freely.
Thanks guys
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Re: ignition switch question

Post by Lowbikemike »

Any competent locksmith can cut a key for the ignition. They are incredibly simple.

Ignition switches are easily disassembled by following the service manual (and remembering how the parts go back together), once apart the lock cylinder can be addressed. The wafers/tumblers are generally staked in, but again any locksmith can move the wafers around to change the code. I've found the wafers (pins) themselves are hard to find, as I have a few locks I would like to rekey myself. As a side note, If anyone has any wafers I would be interested in buying them.

Further if you cylinder has a 4 digit code starting with a B on the face of it, its just a matter of the locksmith looking up that code and making a key. If you have an original with the code on the face Terry Marsh might have an original Briggs key for it. If you need his info, pm me.

Remember, mid 50's ignition locks did not have any wafers (tumbers/pins) and any key could turn them as long as it fit the slot.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: ignition switch question

Post by RUBONE »

Paysonpan,
On the switches that won't turn, check the left side of the cover and see if the sliding plate is engaged in the small slot in the cover. If so it is in the locked position. It can still be taken apart even if it is locked.

The original flip up covers fit the entire contour of the lock top. If the flip sticks out in a point it is aftermarket. Old original locks have no plastic in them either.

Return to “Electrical”