Frame to pipe clamp question

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Weedy
Bikes: 61 pan

Frame to pipe clamp question

Post by Weedy »

Hi all I have a question on the frame to pipe clamps on my dual Glide. I have a 49 engine in a early swing on frame and am installing a new exhaust. After a lot of effort I fit the front pipe and the squish pipe together and realized that those clamps do not matchup. The clamp set that I bought was V-Twin pot number 31 - 3989 and the rest of the exhaust is V-Twin also. It looks to me like the clamps if they will flattened on one side would match up. The only picture I could find in the knowledge base shows one flat side for those clamps but that was a rigid. Would they be the same for a swing on frame? I would post a couple pictures but I'm just not that tech-savvy LOL. Thanks for any help and pictures are very much appreciated LOL
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: Frame to pipe clamp question

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Confused some, can you elaborate.
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

You are going to have to tweak all the parts to make work. In other words, cut,grind and weld.NEVER have I seen after market pipes bolt right up without some tweaking
Weedy

Post by Weedy »

sorry I just reread my post and realized it wasn't very clear. the clamps I was referring too are the frame to front header clamps. I couldn't find a pic in the gallery or knowledge base other than one that showed a rigid setup. don't know if they are the same as swing arm. I would post a pic but I suck at this. will get wife to do it tomorrow.
ultrapan
Bikes: '64 FL,'42E,'03 Ultra Classic,

Post by ultrapan »

IMG_0238_zpssp4avl3p.jpg
IMG_0238_zpssp4avl3p.jpg (105.97 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
This is how my clamps are on my '64 Duo Glide, you may have to flatten your V Twin clamps
Weedy

Post by Weedy »

ultrapan that is the pic I needed! thanks so much! my clamps are not flat like yours. pics really ARE worth a thousand words! lol socalrider haven't had to do much tweaking with the front half of exhaust. just a matter of finding the right angles which seems to take me way too long! lol grinding the engine case nut helped a lot too. very tight squeeze between bottom of engine and bottom front of frame for the pipes. thanks agian

Return to “Exhaust”