Panhead stops during run.

gosilver
Bikes: FL 74 c.i. 1949

Re: Panhead stops during run.

Post by gosilver »

I love you all, really thank you!
Probably the problem is (partially) solved
Today I try to run with the panhead. After one km the bike stop. As usual, a kick and the bike runs again. Then I went to the box searching for something else. I check all the wires and move them as possible (from the generator, circuit braker, coil, between the tank, in the fork to the terminal plate). I've checked the caps of the spark plug in the inside and I've tight a bit che contact to the spark plug. Then was time to try to run. When i opened the fuel...a lake under the bike (I've used half an hour before!).I've tried to knock the bowl with a wood stik..but nothing. So, another time, I get down the bowl and clean and test everything. I've got no fuel filter but in the tee where the fuel line goes, there was like a little yellow material that is sfibrate. I don't know the function of it, but I remove it (it ws just near the mechanism that is moved by the float to let pass the fuel - I've blowed and lubrificated this part too. I had not done this operation last time.-) Putted on the bowl, start the bike and I run for a few miles.....well..no stops!!! Imho (don't ask me why...) the problem could been in the spark plug cap as someone say in a previous post (not good connection) or probably a wire I've moved, or also in the components of the fuel access in the bowl. I'm sure my bike will stops again in the night in a desert place...but is a part of the game!
For now, even if I can not be sure of the cause (so I can't definitively resolve it), I've no more the problem.
Answering to the friend ask me in a post: I've try to move the switch in the position "lights on" and back "light off"...no problem.
Thank you all for your knowledge! You had help a man here in Italy...from the other side of the world! Fantastic!
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

P.s.: I'm a dummy in Panhead world. I've had several HD but one day I falled in love with this FL. I had sell my Heritage Springer with the intention to keep only the pan, so I can learn and understand it. Really new things for me Panhead and mechanics! But with little experiences and your precious help and knowledge...step by step I learn something new everyday. And I'm proud when I can solve by myself a stupid thing too!
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

gosilver wrote:I love you all, really thank you!
Probably the problem is (partially) solved
Today I try to run with the panhead. After one km the bike stop. As usual, a kick and the bike runs again. Then I went to the box searching for something else. I check all the wires and move them as possible (from the generator, circuit braker, coil, between the tank, in the fork to the terminal plate). I've checked the caps of the spark plug in the inside and I've tight a bit che contact to the spark plug. Then was time to try to run. When i opened the fuel...a lake under the bike (I've used half an hour before!).
So there was a pool of gas on the ground? Was the gas coming from the carburetor or from one of the joints between the tanks and the carb?
gosilver wrote:I've tried to knock the bowl with a wood stik..but nothing. So, another time, I get down the bowl and clean and test everything. I've got no fuel filter but in the tee where the fuel line goes, there was like a little yellow material that is sfibrate.
It's not clear to me what you're saying here. What tee are you talking about? The usual setup is that there's a banjo fitting that comes into the petcock (fuel shutoff) from the right tank. The fuel line under the petcock carries fuel from both tanks to the carburetor.

For the yellow material you're describing, possibly someone used Teflon tape to seal one of the fittings on the fuel line. The white Teflon tape is used for water. There's a different color of Teflon tape that is used for gas lines as used in home furnaces and stoves (i.e. gas, not benzina).

Is the tee you're talking about the fuel strainer? (See Fig. 45 here: XVI Fuel system) The picture is for a WLA, but it's the same idea for Linkerts generally.

If you're finding a puddle of gasoline on the ground, it's likely that your carburetor float is hanging up. The purpose of rapping on the carb bowl with a stick or a screwdriver handle is to jar the float so it comes free. It's extremely dangerous to have gasoline leaking out of the bike, and is something that you need to fix right away.
gosilver wrote: I don't know the function of it, but I remove it (it ws just near the mechanism that is moved by the float to let pass the fuel - I've blowed and lubrificated this part too. I had not done this operation last time.-) Putted on the bowl, start the bike and I run for a few miles.....well..no stops!!! Imho (don't ask me why...) the problem could been in the spark plug cap as someone say in a previous post (not good connection) or probably a wire I've moved, or also in the components of the fuel access in the bowl. I'm sure my bike will stops again in the night in a desert place...but is a part of the game!
For now, even if I can not be sure of the cause (so I can't definitively resolve it), I've no more the problem.
Answering to the friend ask me in a post: I've try to move the switch in the position "lights on" and back "light off"...no problem.
Thank you all for your knowledge! You had help a man here in Italy...from the other side of the world! Fantastic!
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

Sorry, the tee is under the bowl where the fuel line goes in (instead of Classic fuel filter).
I had never had befofe of today a leak from the carburator. The fuel flow down from the connection plate to the mainfold and from everywhere. It was the classic flow stopped in "open position". A knock with a wood stick is to try to let the flow return in his natural position (full high with no fuel passage in the bowl)
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

Your old girl is giving you quite an education . looks like your float is sticking today and I believe you posted it was a metal float .. not the best option ... There is a fellow that hasnt posted here in a while "Tom Cotten @ Liberty Cycle" he makes THE BEST replacement float for a Linkert .. I highly recommend him for carb trouble . you can find him on the members page . send him a PM I highly recommend his floats .
Ed
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

Panhead Ed wrote:Your old girl is giving you quite an education . looks like your float is sticking today and I believe you posted it was a metal float .. not the best option ... There is a fellow that hasnt posted here in a while "Tom Cotten @ Liberty Cycle" he makes THE BEST replacement float for a Linkert .. I highly recommend him for carb trouble . you can find him on the members page . send him a PM I highly recommend his floats .
Ed
I belive too she is testing me!
I Know who is Tom Cotten and His tips are very precious! I'll ask him For the float. Is a pity to be so far from USA.

Return to “Troubleshooting”