Panhead stops during run.

hogboy52
Bikes: 52FL, 62 BMW R60

Re: Panhead stops during run.

Post by hogboy52 »

I've used the same sort of with a clear filter on the other side, and auto fuel line directly to the base fitting without any problem. The regular fuel line had a soft compression fitting at the end, and if I run a metal line to a hard fitting, I use a short section of soft line near the end because of vibration... Makes the fuel foam?
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

gosilver wrote:@Panpal
thank you, but the fuel lines are metallic.

@Ozwick
yes, i'm running with a linkert and the float is mettallic and correctly in site as you say.

@wrong road
sorry, but my fuel lines are metallic...so non deformation is possible.
Just re-reading -
I thought I remembered you saying the float is "metallic". Does that mean you're running a brass float? Usually brass floats eventually sink. HOWEVER-- when they sink, they cause the needle valve to stay open and gas comes out the vent hole in the carb- and other places. That's not your problem, you seem to be fuel-starved.

One thing that can cause starvation is if the float hangs up on the stem of the carburetor, which has already been suggested. The float hangs up, the needle valve cannot flow enough fuel. Perhaps you can confirm that the float is positioned slightly off-center as per the Service Manual.

Another thing that happens often is the float hanging up on the stem when it's all the way down.
After checking the float, the bowl is empty and the float is all the way down where it can hang up on the carb stem. This causes overflowing, but a few raps on the side of the bowl with a screwdriver handle usually frees it up.
Just wanted to mention it in case it happens, don't be alarmed.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Robert Luland wrote:If you did all that fuel research the way ya did. Change the coil. I know the guys here mean well but loose wires and bad switches don't loose power. They just turn off. Bob L
Bob,

I have to disagree with you on the bad switch doesn't lose power. My switch was badly worn and it cut out which caused the bike to lose power. I figured out the issue after rotating ign. switch to the lighting position and all was fine.
gosilver
Bikes: FL 74 c.i. 1949

Post by gosilver »

hogboy52 wrote:I've used the same sort of with a clear filter on the other side, and auto fuel line directly to the base fitting without any problem. The regular fuel line had a soft compression fitting at the end, and if I run a metal line to a hard fitting, I use a short section of soft line near the end because of vibration... Makes the fuel foam?
No no, the fuel is not foamy....
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

Bigincher wrote:
gosilver wrote:@Panpal
thank you, but the fuel lines are metallic.

@Ozwick
yes, i'm running with a linkert and the float is mettallic and correctly in site as you say.

@wrong road
sorry, but my fuel lines are metallic...so non deformation is possible.
Just re-reading -
I thought I remembered you saying the float is "metallic". Does that mean you're running a brass float? Usually brass floats eventually sink. HOWEVER-- when they sink, they cause the needle valve to stay open and gas comes out the vent hole in the carb- and other places. That's not your problem, you seem to be fuel-starved.

One thing that can cause starvation is if the float hangs up on the stem of the carburetor, which has already been suggested. The float hangs up, the needle valve cannot flow enough fuel. Perhaps you can confirm that the float is positioned slightly off-center as per the Service Manual.

Another thing that happens often is the float hanging up on the stem when it's all the way down.
After checking the float, the bowl is empty and the float is all the way down where it can hang up on the carb stem. This causes overflowing, but a few raps on the side of the bowl with a screwdriver handle usually frees it up.
Just wanted to mention it in case it happens, don't be alarmed.
Is strange, but my sensation is that I've to search the problem in the elctric part of the bike. But I could be wrong.
I know is ridicolous, but I dont remember the material of the float. Is for sure metallic..the colour I remeber is stainless steel...Is like when you walk down the road that take you home...there are many thing you see every day but you don't pay attention. In this WE, after "electric operations" if time is by my side I get down the bowl and I take some picture (is a 5 minutes job).
glyptor
Bikes: Harley fl 48

Post by glyptor »

...Toh...another italian...lontanucci da casa,eh?hello from Sardinia,Gosilver! :wink:
Ciao :mrgreen:
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

glyptor wrote:...Toh...another italian...lontanucci da casa,eh?hello from Sardinia,Gosilver! :wink:
Ciao :mrgreen:
Hei! ciao da Genova...ci separa solo qualche miglio di mare!
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

ok, Saturday was the "Pan day".
My intention was to check the basic electrical parts. I started getting down the battery. My battery (6V) is an electrolytic one, and is putted into the original bakelite battery box. The level of the water is down, so I refill it in every cell. The condition of wires was not good : from the real battery I have the two wires that are connected dowside of the originals metallic poles of the old battery. I've find the positive pole with more oxidation too (this in the "real" battery pole inside the box).
Saturday here it seemed summer...so I only want to ride my bike, even if thinkig at those wires would not let me calm.
Reconnetting negative pole....a short from the positive!!!..my positive and negative wires cooked!. The wires were really in bad conditions....
So I' ve disconnetted all and remake the connection with new wires and all from the battery to the bike elctrical system. All these world are to ask to you: I' ve cheked every single wire in the switch on the dash; i' ve checked eversy single wire on the terminal plate, on the cut out relay, on the generator, the spark plug wires...and the electrical system from the battery is new. Now...is possible that there was a "spark" in the positive of the battery that when i run the bike make a short and stop it? is possible that was the cause of the problem?
Last edited by gosilver on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

this is an error
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Do you run a fuse? Are these original wires? Keep in mind that electrical wire rot from the inside out. Just because a wire shows continuity doesn't mean it can take load with out breaking.
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

Robert Luland wrote:Do you run a fuse? Are these original wires? Keep in mind that electrical wire rot from the inside out. Just because a wire shows continuity doesn't mean it can take load with out breaking.
No T run without a fuse. The wires are not the original ones, but like the original ones covered in cloth. The electric diagram is same as the original.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

gosilver wrote: ... Now...is possible that there was a "spark" in the positive of the battery that when i run the bike make a short and stop it? is possible that was the cause of the problem?
Yes, that's possible.
Can you borrow a different battery and try it? It would be good to eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem.
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

Bigincher wrote:
gosilver wrote: ... Now...is possible that there was a "spark" in the positive of the battery that when i run the bike make a short and stop it? is possible that was the cause of the problem?
Yes, that's possible.
Can you borrow a different battery and try it? It would be good to eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem.
After the short i've tested the battery and it was about 6,5 volts. So I rewired the battery with new wires, connectors and I connected it to the bike. All was working, the battery seems not been cooked. When light on the charging in was about 7,3 volts. I' ve got to see if it keep the charge but I belive yes.
bigbox
Bikes: Panhead 1959. Dirt bikes, current 2013 Switchback 73 Norton and 79 Triumph

Post by bigbox »

Ok, do you mind if I throw my thoughts in... How about the coil breaking down under load? Or even the spark plugs being crap and then there is also the condenser.
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Did my test in the dark show the points stop sparking? I had an auto mechanic teacher, Mr. Dolan, who used to say "Go for the 100% solution" by that he meant don't check the coil wire or points, on a car, go right to the plug and insure strong spark. If not work your way back. If strong steady spark, trickle gas in the carb. If that makes it run, the problem is fuel. If strong spark and gas don't help, timing or compression is the problem. This was his solution for a car that don't run.

In your case, I would Hotwire directly from the battery to the coil, put in new gapped plugs and try to run, leave the keyswitch off. Heck, disconnect the battery except for the Hotwire, and the ground cable. Then, the only parts in the electric system are the coil, condenser, plug wires, plugs, points and the wire from the coil to the points. It would eliminate any dead short killing the system. Make sure that the good battery has a good charge.

Just my 2 cents
Andygears

Return to “Troubleshooting”