Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: Panhead stops during run.

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

If your running a stock dash, it with be shorting out there, cut a inner tube out over the 5 pole ignition switch, never know.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I just check this thread every day, because the problem that's trying to be solved is one of the most difficult, made even harder because it's the Internet. I imagine there's a fair number of us that could isolate the problem fairly quickly in person, with eyes on and hands on.
But like this, there are so many unknowns....
Okay, carry on. See ya tomorrow! ;)
gosilver
Bikes: FL 74 c.i. 1949

Post by gosilver »

Buddhahoodvatoloco wrote:If your running a stock dash, it with be shorting out there, cut a inner tube out over the 5 pole ignition switch, never know.
Thank you,
i'm not sure I've understood what you suggested me to do....
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

Bigincher wrote:I just check this thread every day, because the problem that's trying to be solved is one of the most difficult, made even harder because it's the Internet. I imagine there's a fair number of us that could isolate the problem fairly quickly in person, with eyes on and hands on.
But like this, there are so many unknowns....
Okay, carry on. See ya tomorrow! ;)
Yes, it's so.
For sure is a little problem and for this reason is more hard to find.
i can put my hand over the bike only in the next week end. If is an eletctrical problem I will start searching for the easyer things. I'll get down the battery and check the wires: i'll do the same in the termial plate and in the ingition switch. Then circuit bracker, generator, cut out relay.
Is a little, bastard, thing.
Is not possible to create a "panhead first aid squad" formed with the forum's members for situation like these? I can host you in Italy, in front of the sea...good food, beautiful girls....think about it! :D
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

When the engine starts to die jiggle the ignition switch and see if it makes a difference , if so you might have a worn switch . easy fix
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

gosilver wrote: Is not possible to create a "panhead first aid squad" formed with the forum's members for situation like these? I can host you in Italy, in front of the sea...good food, beautiful girls....think about it! :D
Count me in! ;) Just hope I can solve your problem!
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

Bigincher wrote:
gosilver wrote: Is not possible to create a "panhead first aid squad" formed with the forum's members for situation like these? I can host you in Italy, in front of the sea...good food, beautiful girls....think about it! :D
Count me in! ;) Just hope I can solve your problem!
I belive that with red wine, spaghetti and Italian girls...we will forget my Pan. But are all good reasons!
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

If you did all that fuel research the way ya did. Change the coil. I know the guys here mean well but loose wires and bad switches don't loose power. They just turn off. Bob L
hogboy52
Bikes: 52FL, 62 BMW R60

Post by hogboy52 »

I think it must be fuel problem. the bike runs well till the fuel level drops in the bowl then sputters. When stopped fuel trickles into the bowl and when it's filled the bike starts and runs well again.
Does the Linkert have the separator/filter device on the bottom? Does the fuel line run over the top of the intake manifold? If the metal line is replaced with a clear plastic line, you could observe what might be going on with the engine running.
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

hogboy52 wrote:I think it must be fuel problem. the bike runs well till the fuel level drops in the bowl then sputters. When stopped fuel trickles into the bowl and when it's filled the bike starts and runs well again.
Does the Linkert have the separator/filter device on the bottom? Does the fuel line run over the top of the intake manifold? If the metal line is replaced with a clear plastic line, you could observe what might be going on with the engine running.

This is my linkert carb.
the fuel line pass under the mainfold and It fits behind the bronze terminal. During the execution I' don't know, but when I get it off...the amount of fuel seems perfect.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

The stock fuel strainer is missing. Does this mean an in-line filter has been installed somewhere between the tank and carburetor? These are notorious for restricting fuel flow.
If there is no in-line filter, there's nothing stopping crud and crap from entering the carburetor.
If it was mine, I would remove both gas tanks and clean them out well.
I would blow out all the fuel lines with compressed air, and I would add the correct fuel strainer at the carburetor inlet, removing any in-line filter if present.
But if there IS an in-line filter, that's the problem right there.
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

Bigincher wrote:The stock fuel strainer is missing. Does this mean an in-line filter has been installed somewhere between the tank and carburetor? These are notorious for restricting fuel flow.
If there is no in-line filter, there's nothing stopping crud and crap from entering the carburetor.
I would blow out all the fuel lines with compressed air, and I would add the correct fuel strainer at the carburetor inlet, removing any in-line filter if present.
The tank was removed last year because I've done a treatment with Tankerite...so it is clean. the lines are good and blown...but for sure I've to put a fuel steiner (that is not anywhere else - between lines and carburetor- )
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

Bigincher wrote:The stock fuel strainer is missing. Does this mean an in-line filter has been installed somewhere between the tank and carburetor? These are notorious for restricting fuel flow.
.....but I do belive we are near the solution.....
now I want to check better that connection between fuel line and carburetor...I' ve a suspect....

for M74B the right filter is this...I'm right?
http://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/ ... ge=!WW4817
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

That's the one. You will need the correct compression fitting on the fuel line, and the rubber seal.

But this by itself my not solve the problem.
gosilver

Post by gosilver »

Bigincher wrote:That's the one. You will need the correct compression fitting on the fuel line, and the rubber seal.

But this by itself my not solve the problem.
I Know...
This week end I Will be closed into my garage searching for the solution of this problem. But I'm happy...this activity relax myself!

Return to “Troubleshooting”