4 speed Trans gasket seals kit recommendation

Wilson
Bikes: 1951 Panhead FL

4 speed Trans gasket seals kit recommendation

Post by Wilson »

Hi Guys,

Just seeing what gasket seal kits you find to be most useful and successful . Jims etc.

Thanks Chris
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: 4 speed Trans gasket seals kit recommendation

Post by 1950Panhead »

Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Wilson wrote:Hi Guys,
Just seeing what gasket seal kits you find to be most useful and successful . Jims etc.
Thanks Chris
Not "Jims", but "James". Pretty much cannot go wrong with James, anywhere on the motorcycle.
Wilson
Bikes: 1951 Panhead FL

Post by Wilson »

So the main gear has no seal in the end does it not need one or I am missing something Trans is a 1951
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

g3et the manual, do your homework, then you will know your scoot, from the inside out.
Wilson wrote:So the main gear has no seal in the end does it not need one or I am missing something Trans is a 1951
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Main gear seal did not start until '65...
Curly 64
Bikes: '77 XLCR, '74 FLH, '64 DuoGlide

Post by Curly 64 »

There's a way to put a seal there but the shaft has to be machined to accept it. If you go to that much work, make it deep enough to accept two seals. Saddlebagrail has a fix for the spacer too, and puts an o-ring in there to keep the sprocket splines from seeping. Right now I'm doing a '64 that was leaking out the kicker shaft. There's a seal there but the bushings were worn enough that a new seal couldn't do its job so I'm fabricating new undersized bushings to fit the kicker shaft like they should (only about .005" smaller), then the seal will work. Sometimes I put an o-ring groove in the clutch shaft bushing to keep water from running down the shaft and contaminating the oil too. I use a very small o-ring so the groove doesn't have to be very deep.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

If Tranny is in Good condition after overhaul//Theres really no need for any custom made nuts or anything on the shaft!//(I am in no way saying RAYS fix is not good!!//I think it is a pretty great fix for a F--ked-up mixer!)//I have been running a 44 mixer & anytime I have to service anything/(which is usually broken pawl springs/& I log on Alot of miles,& run ST.60wt in it).Then I clean the mainshaft area (REAL-GOOD)/to eat off it stage.Then This is the olny area that I use Sillycone other then the EX. spigots on the bike!//The trick is all in the PREP-WORK!//& All Sillycone must be TOOLED & allowed to dry overnite in a warm garage or house//It can take sillycone up to a month to cure all the way!!!!!/IN COLD WEATHER.Also I use a sillycone in this area that most cannot get!/Im a Glazier by trade & use 795-structural sealent by DOW Corning.Kenseal in Carlstadt NJ is a supplier.But It cannot be purchased in single 10oz. cartridgeges,olny by the case which is $500+!.Also its not good for EX. spigots as it will cook off!//But for the tranny it works Wonders!//I have been applying this to the area for MANY YRS./& never had trouble with leaks!.However this is not the olny sealent you can use!--Any Good RTV-Sillycone will get the job done!--(As long as the area is PREPPED properly).Not to stir the pot so to say//O-rings added where not originally intended /end-up in the mixer eventually!!//I have seen this quite a few times over the yrs.//Best thing is just change out the bush,& ream to size!//But if insisting on another homebrew fix//I have seen a TEFLON seal with a SS-spring in the center of it work!--The seal is .250 wide with walls that rise up -with the spring in the middle/Instead of just a light seat cut ,like for an o-ring/it requires that a little turning on a lathe be done & not deep!//These I never saw break apart!--(YET).---Respectfully----Richie
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Dow Corning 795 in single cartridges can be found almost anywhere.

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-19838 ... fgodzDMJbA

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”