1955 FL fuel shut off rod not lining up

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
1955fle
Bikes: 1955 FL
1973 FLH

1955 FL fuel shut off rod not lining up

Post by 1955fle »

The fuel shut off on my '55 FL has worked perfect for 20 years. It when up and down easily and screwed to the bottom to stop the fuel flow. Over the weekend I changed the crossover fuel line with the correct part for my year. I had an older crossover in place. Now the fuel rod is acting like the top rod and the bottom receiver are not lined up. All I did is remove the bottom piece that holds the banjo fitting on the crossover line. I tweaked the line so all surfaces are flush and there was no stress. Am I missing something? Do I need to realign the top and bottom of the rod setup to match up? What could have changed by removing the bottom piece. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

-Carl
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: 1955 FL fuel shut off rod not lining up

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

If it's not aligning, and you did as you wrote, then it does read like you need to align the holes, check your shut off rod for straightness, first.
Good luck..
1955fle
1973 FLH

Post by 1955fle »

I have never removed the shutoff rod. Once I unscrew the lower nerrled (sp) knob does it just pull out from the top?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

I have never removed the shutoff rod. Once I unscrew the lower nerrled (sp) knob does it just pull out from the top?
Drain the gas, remove knob on top, remove large bolt on bottom, rod comes out bottom.
Check rod for straight, the two holes have to align to work smoothly.
There is a special tool to align however I have aligned several by looking through top hole and moving bottom nut with large crescent wrench.
1955fle
1973 FLH

Post by 1955fle »

Well adjusted the crossover line to make sure it was sitting properly on the inlet. Carefully screwed the the bottom piece with the rod inserted in it. All lined up and works like before. Just did not think this would be a sensitive as it is. Thanks for the help.
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

55fle,
It sounds like you may have tweaked the tank's lower flange out of whack. The good news is that you can probably tweak it back into alignment with the same tool you used to loosen and tighten the fitting.

It's important to remember to keep the force you apply to your wrench (or whatever tool you use) in the correct plane with bottom fitting. If you pull up or push down on the wrench when turning, its pretty easy to knock that bottom fitting out of whack. Hope this helps to get you lined up again.

Geo.

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”