Prepping New Chains

james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Prepping New Chains

Post by james »

Hello to all,
A survey on prepping a new chain, primary or rear chain.
What do you guys do with a new chain out of the box, before you put it in service?
Why do you think your way works best?
Thanks in advance for your answers and,
Happy New Year, hope everyone stays healthy.
Jim M
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Re: Prepping New Chains

Post by blewcrab »

I run O ring chain to wheel , it gets extra lube from leaky tranny seal ....after 6K no problems . I now run a belt primary ,but in the past I would melt wheel bearing grease and submerge the primary chain in it ,and I would run it for a year with the oiler cut off . I don't really know why but most guys did it that way back in the day ..I never had a chain issue.... so I guess what I'm sayin is , there aint no wrong way ,jus make sure a chain don't get dry .......knock on wood !
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Re: Prepping New Chains

Post by Excalibur »

Everyone has there favorite brand chain and lube of course..

I recently fitted a new O-ring chain to the rear and the only thing I do is give an occasional squirt of Motul chain lube for the rollers.
The primary chain is the one the bike came into my possession with. It uses conventional oiling from the engine. Seems to be working.

I discovered Motul some years ago as follows... In the early 90's I was competing in vintage motorcycle roadracing on a vintage Triumph. It ran an open primary chain. I was using Castrol chain lube applied after every race. It needed it because the chain would be bone dry after just 6 laps. The engine was doing up to 7000rpm max, preferably a bit less.
Then we found Motul chain lube. This stuff stayed on our high speed primary chains. It was significantly better than what Castrol had to offer (at the time). It works like this: it sprays on really thin out of the can, then the distillate part evaporates and leaves a very sticky residue. This means it gets into where it's needed.
Still my favorite today. No doubt there are other lubes around these days that are comparable.

Return to “Chains & Belts”