Vin vs Belly Numbers

VIN Identification
DoomBuggy
Bikes: '56 Panhead bobber

Vin vs Belly Numbers

Post by DoomBuggy »

I have been tearing into the Panhead I purchased and continue to find some odd issues with it, it is truly a mutt. It has a salvage title with an Indiana tag on the frame, but I am still trying to figure out what exactly I have and what type of options I have going forward.

The latest oddity has me little concerned and I am pretty sure of the answer, but here goes.

Is it possible that an engine with a 1956 belly number would have a 1955 vin on it. I have restored more then a couple of cars over the years and have seen where the next year's parts have been used to complete assembly on a current year. An example would be a 1968 date coded alternator on a late production 1967 Firebird.

The reverse is pretty common as they are using up remaining stock, but in this case I wanted to get other's observations.

On a different note, is the left case interchangeable on '55, '56, and '57 model years? If I have to find a new case then I want to see what is out there.

Thanks,
-H
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: Vin vs Belly Numbers

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Is it possible that an engine with a 1956 belly number would have a 1955 vin on it.
Hombre, I have seen a few belly numbers, and have never seen a later year number on a earlier year vin. But with these pups who knows, but it is highly unlikely.
As for the cases, left one specifically, after 55 56, 57 should be the same.
Get some manuals, palmers book for example, for some general and specific guidance,
happy wrenching.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Is it possible that an engine with a 1956 belly number would have a 1955 vin on it.
Possible but very unlikely, probably restamped, post a photo we can tell.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Basically, no...
VPH-D
DoomBuggy

Post by DoomBuggy »

I figured probably not. I will post up picks as soon as I can.

Thanks all
DoomBuggy

Post by DoomBuggy »

Finally done with family commitments. Looking at the numbers on this web site it is pretty clear these are bogus.
vin.jpg
vin.jpg (202.9 KiB) Viewed 2970 times
So the hunt for a set of good cases will go forward.
Weedy
Bikes: 61 pan

Post by Weedy »

doombuggy i'm no expert but I think they are wrong also. maybe try the local pd to run the #'s to see if they are stolen? don't know what that might mean if they come back as stolen but its better to know for sure before sinking a lot of cash into it then finding out after. good luck.
DoomBuggy

Post by DoomBuggy »

I ran them when I bought it and they did not come back stolen. Of course no telling what numbers were originally on the motor. Guess I will stay out of Cali and SD until I get this dialed in.
lpd1snipe
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1949 EL, 1957 G Servi-Car, 1968 XLH, 2012 FLHTCU, 2018 Ural Gear-Up,

Post by lpd1snipe »

The ones I've seen over the years the crankcase numbers were always a year behind the VIN. I have seen a few odd Vin over the years but never the reverse.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

DoomBuggy, it is possible for an engine to have BNs one year later than its VIN. I haven’t seen it yet with a 55 but 1947 BNs were on some late-1946 models and this is mentioned on page 10 of Palmer’s 37–64 SE. Palmer also mentions 1944 BNs on late-43 WLCs and 1943 BNs on late-42 Us for South Africa. And we know about 42WLAs having not only 41–42 BNs but 43, 44 and 45 BNs as well.

There was also at least one BT Flathead ‘originally assembled’ with 39 BNs on an engine with a 38 VIN. This was recorded on a factory letter, a copy of which was posted on CAImag in 2012.

As you’ve now discovered, that 55 VIN was not stamped at the factory. But if you really want to figure out what you have then you’ll need to check the BNs as well. Do they look authentic or non-factory? Can you post photos please.

Also look on top of each case near the rear engine mounting bolts. Are 7s stamped there or Hs? If nothing present, is there any sign something was removed?
Eric

Return to “VIN”