securing throttle cable

Weedy
Bikes: 61 pan

securing throttle cable

Post by Weedy »

hi all. am rebiulding my frankenstein pan after an accident last summer and have a question or 2, installing handlebars with internal throttle and advance cables and wondering how they are secured after coming thru the top tree and by the steering neck? have looked in the kb but cant seem to find anything. i am simple minded so pics are worth a thousand words to me! lol. also is there something to cover up the wiring and cables between the bars and top plate? thanks for any help. btw this is by far the best site for info i have seen! thank you guys for that!
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: securing throttle cable

Post by Bigincher »

Yes, there is a black plastic sleeve that houses the control coils and wiring between the handlebars and the top clamp. It is held in place by a flange that goes underneath the stainless steel top clamp cover.
So to install it, it has to go on before the fork tube caps and handlebar riders. I know, a pain in the ass if that stuff is already assembled.
The sleeve is available, I think v-twin has it. The cheapest place you can find it is probably from eBay seller "nothing_but_fun", or "Blarnierubble". I would try nothing_but_fun, all her sales include free shipping, and she likes to be cheaper than everyone else. If you don't see it in her store, contact her and she'll get it for you.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

The wiring is secured to the steering neck by means of a clip, or two clips, depending on year and whether spots or turn signals are installed.
Also, depending on the year, the advance/retard cable is affixed to a small tab welded on the left downtube just below the steering head. The throttle cable is attached to another tab that is welded to the frame 'intermediate brace' just forward if the top motor mount. If your frame is non-stock, it may be missing those tabs. Other years utilize a small bracket attached with the motor mount top bolt, for the throttle cable.
If your frame is stock, what year is it? Various clips were used in various places for wiring harnesses; Palmers S/E covers it well, and all the clips are shown in the Spare Parts Catalog. It can be a daunting task to get them all factory correct, but on your Frankie you could use whatever looks like it will serve your purpose.
Weedy

Post by Weedy »

Thanks For the Reply Bigincher. Not trying to be stock just want to look somewhat correct. I have a 49 engine in an early swing arm frame. Using the tins instead of the aluminum shroud. I have the tabs you mentioned for the cables and had those secured. But I found that when turned all the way to left that they get pinched between frame and front end. Need to take apart anyway because I didn't realize someone notched lower tree on both sides of my swapmeet special, allowing front end to hit tanks. Just wondering what the factory did to secure cables by the neck. Will look for the plastic cover while I have it apart. Thanks. Tim
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

You will not have the plastic shield if you have the later front end and two piece bars.

As Big said, there are neck clips that hold the cables in place to avoid the problem you mention.
Weedy

Post by Weedy »

Lowbikemike. Have 1 price bar and found the cover on ebay. Also found clips in VT win parts book. Thanks for the info! Tim

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”