52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Linkert Question

Post by Pete808 »

I am completely lost on this one, could someone please help. I took the S&S carb that came on my 58 FLH off and put the Linkert M74B back on that the previous owner included with the bike. I have a question about a whole on the left side of the carb, in the picture the screwdriver is pointing to it. What is this whole and should it be plugged? When I kick the bike it is spraying gas out of this whole.

Thanks for any info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Linkert Question

Post by RUBONE »

That hole (not whole) is the bowl vent. It is always open and gas should not come out of it. Before you put the carb on did you check float height? Needle shuts off? Correct venturi? Several things could cause an issue but hard to guess with so little information.
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

Kicking with choke closed?
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Pete,
Another note besides the vent hole, the carb to manifold mounting bolts are the short ones used without the spacer, not mand threads holding it and I recommend finding a steel fuel line vs copper, the copper will end up cracking.
As Robbie said, take the carb apart and go through it. The most common cause of fuel spilling out the vent is needle, seat and float issues.
Jim m
Pete808
Bikes: 42 WLA
47 EL
47 UL
52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Post by Pete808 »

I swear I'm not illiterate, I am not sure why I wrote whole 2 times. I took the carb apart and checked the float height and adjusted it to what the book says. I made sure the needle stops and works as it should. I did not check to see if it is the correct venturi. I can get it to start for a few seconds but won't idle. I will take another look at it next week when I get some time. Thanks for the info guys.

Jim M,

Are you saying that I am not supposed to use the spacer between the carb and manifold? Just the gaskets? I'll work on getting a steel fuel line, the copper one is the one that came with the bike so I put it on.

thanks
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Pete, I think he saw the shorter bolts in the picture, and recommends using longer bolts, as the short bolts are only purchasing a couple of threads. The threads in the brass/alloy carb body are easily stripped. Proper length bolts would be in order...
Pete808
47 EL
47 UL
52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Post by Pete808 »

Bigincher wrote:Pete, I think he saw the shorter bolts in the picture, and recommends using longer bolts, as the short bolts are only purchasing a couple of threads. The threads in the brass/alloy carb body are easily stripped. Proper length bolts would be in order...
Got it, thanks
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Thanks Bigincher, correct, the longer bolts are needed.
One more thing I forgot to mention is having a fuel tank shut off that shuts the fuel flow off when not in use.
Jim M
Pete808
47 EL
47 UL
52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Post by Pete808 »

Thanks for the info guys. Turns out that when I took the carb apart last week I never put the main nozzle retaining spring back which was causing all the issues. I got it running and dialed in. I also ordered longer bolts that were suggested by Jim and will be getting a better fuel line. I noticed that the front rocker cover was leaking last week so I figured I would change that. Well that turned into us just pulling the entire motor out so I can clean it and go through it properly. I guess I won't be riding it this week like planned but this will be a good learning experience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Take your time, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you're not sure about something.
I take it you already have a Service Manual and Spare Parts Catalog. If you don't, get them both as fast as you can! The Service Manual can be found here, but you really need a real copy handy while you work
Pete808
47 EL
47 UL
52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Post by Pete808 »

Bigincher wrote:Take your time, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you're not sure about something.
I take it you already have a Service Manual and Spare Parts Catalog. If you don't, get them both as fast as you can! The Service Manual can be found here, but you really need a real copy handy while you work
Thanks, yes I have the manual and the parts catalog. I am very fortunate to work at a Harley Davidson dealership, so I have access to all the tools and equipment needed. The mechanics here have not worked on Panheads but they are still knowledgeable on the basics and my service writer's brother owns a shop that specializes in Pans and Shovels so he is helping me as well when I get stuck. So between you guys on the forums and the guys here I am learning a lot and already looking for the next one. I am thinking knucklehead for the next one, but for now I have to finish this first.

I did a little more work today on it.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

It looks like you kept track of the rocker arms and bearing blocks, that's good. It's important to NOT mix them up; each rocker arm is 'seated' into its individual block. The top and bottom halves of the blocks must always be kept together as a set, as well. Most builders will identify them in some way, with dots made by a center punch (1,2,3,4), or notches made with a file on the rocker arms. Just don't mix them up, and you'll be fine.
It seems like common sense, and I'm sure you're doing it right, but it needs to be said so the unknowing reader can learn.
Pete808
47 EL
47 UL
52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Post by Pete808 »

Bigincher wrote:It looks like you kept track of the rocker arms and bearing blocks, that's good. It's important to NOT mix them up; each rocker arm is 'seated' into its individual block. The top and bottom halves of the blocks must always be kept together as a set, as well. Most builders will identify them in some way, with dots made by a center punch (1,2,3,4), or notches made with a file on the rocker arms. Just don't mix them up, and you'll be fine.
It seems like common sense, and I'm sure you're doing it right, but it needs to be said so the unknowing reader can learn.

Thanks for the tip. I would of just pulled them out randomly if my friend didn't tell me to mark them.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I'm wondering why you removed the rocker blocks in the first place...?
They say to not re-use the nuts that hold the rocker blocks down. They are 'self locking', by means of deformation, and are intended for a single use. But I bet most people re-use them. When I assembled my heads, I bought new nuts from Old Dude, at some crazy price like $2 each. Then I discovered you can get the EXACT same nuts at Fastenall for about 50 cents apiece.
I don't like to use a thread locker, because it tends to pull the studs out upon the next removal. It's best to leave the studs alone.
(Also make sure the oil passageways line up when you reinstall the blocks.)
Pete808
47 EL
47 UL
52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Post by Pete808 »

Bigincher wrote:I'm wondering why you removed the rocker blocks in the first place...?
They say to not re-use the nuts that hold the rocker blocks down. They are 'self locking', by means of deformation, and are intended for a single use. But I bet most people re-use them. When I assembled my heads, I bought new nuts from Old Dude, at some crazy price like $2 each. Then I discovered you can get the EXACT same nuts at Fastenall for about 50 cents apiece.
I don't like to use a thread locker, because it tends to pull the studs out upon the next removal. It's best to leave the studs alone.
(Also make sure the oil passageways line up when you reinstall the blocks.)
I should of read the manual instead of just ripping it apart good thing you told me. I will go and get new nuts.

Return to “Linkert”