windshield repair

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
dcmc
Bikes: 46FL,55flh, 62FL, twin cam, 701 husky

windshield repair

Post by dcmc »

Trying to repair a crack in what i believe is an oem lower window with the bead. I have tried IPS solvent for acrylics, and buterate, it did not work on
whatever material the lower is made of. The lower does not say Union Carbide on it. Just the upper.
Does anyone know what the windshields were made of, if it is oem, or what type solvent to use on them? Thanks
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: windshield repair

Post by 58flh »

You should not use any solevents on them./If it is an oem windshield ,you have to remember acrylics were still in thier infancy back then.Todays plastics are more durable,pliable & scratch-resistent,(if ordered with the resistence).I have took bad areas in NEWER windshields & literly use sandpaper until you get the scratch or blemish out/Then ofcourse you cant see thru it!/To remedy that you take a propane torch & heat the area SLOWLY until it becomes crystal clear./(maybe 5-min. tops depending on ambient temperature.But I would NOT recomend that to a Buco shield!!!//Instead try taking some (springwater,NO Chlorine/& add a small amount of baking soda to it ).Mix it real good & try in an inconspicuous place.Use a Cotten tee to wipe /newspaper & rags are to sharp & pulpy & olny make it less clear to see threw.Good-Luck---Respectfully---Richie

Return to “Accessories”