Need help identifying my Panhead engine

Information about the identification and numbering of frame, motor belly, transmission and other parts
Peer
Bikes: -63 Duo-Glide FL

Need help identifying my Panhead engine

Post by Peer »

Hi.

I'm I noob when it comes to Harleys, so I need some help identifying my Panhead engine.
The left engine case has the ID number identifying it as a -63 FLH, but there are several things that make me question that.
First, there is no external oil lines to the cylinder heads. The oil lines is internal in the cylinders. Which year models have the oil lines in the cylinders? And is it possible that someone has converted it to internal oil supply? If that is possible?
Second, there is no oil lines to the lifter blocks. My lifter blocks have the holes for oil pressure, but there is no matching holes in the block. Which year was the oil lines for the lifter blocks drilled? Can the oil lines be drilled? I want to convert the lifters to hydraulic, to get rid of the knocking sound from the valvetrain when the engine is hot. But without oil pressure to the lifters, the lifters would collapse I guess??
Also, the left flywheel "pin" where the primary drive sprocket is attached (or in my case the BDL belt drive sprocket) has a tapered/cone shape with only one "key"; there is no splines as I would expect?. Can the flywheel be from an knucklehead engine?
As You understand, the engine is a "mix and match" engine and makes it difficult to buy parts, so any help is much appreciated.

Sorry if similar question is asked before, but I have tried all sorts of search words and haven't had any luck.

Thanks.

Peer,
Norway
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Need help identifying my Panhead engine

Post by RUBONE »

Hi Peer,
Welcome to the Forum.
Your engine sounds like a typical victim of the chopper craze. Many stolen re-stamped bikes ended up in Europe during the '80s and 90s, hopefully it wasn't a stolen one. It is most likely an earlier Panhead engine re-stamped with '63 numbers. The tapered crank was used from '48-'54 and will not fit in later cases. If it is a pre '53 engine it cannot be converted to hydraulic lifters.
What are the numbers on the bottom of the engine? And clear photographs of the engine will help enormously to identify it.
Robbie
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Peer,
There are casting dates on cylinders and head, report numbers, letters we can decode.
Report belly numbers as Robbie requested, like 48-#####, 50-#####, 63-#####
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Peer wrote:The oil lines is internal in the cylinders. Which year models have the oil lines in the cylinders?
H-D Panhead cylinders had feed oil holes as original for 1948–62. Originally no feed oil holes for 1963–65 but sometimes cylinders have been converted. If 63–65 cylinders the left side may have a cast-in MC logo at the base indicating Motor Castings Company. Date codes will help with ID as Jerry mentioned.

Also look on top of each case near the rear engine mounting bolt holes. Are 7s stamped there? If so could you post photos please because H-D used at least two types of 7s for early Panheads if the engine was originally 74ci. When originally 61ci, H-D stamped nothing there.
Eric
Peer

Post by Peer »

Thanks alot to all.
Well that makes it a bit clearer :shock:

The belly numbers was found after some laying on my back and scrubbing, but not typically HD number? 249-11015, same number on left and right case.
On the cylinders I cant find any numbers; they are smooth where I would expect a number. But it could be some aftermarket cylinders??
The cylinder heads is marked with STD, so aftermarked alu heads.
I cant really find a 7 either, but mayby on the right case. Altough you really have to want it to be a "7"

The engine is in the frame at the moment, but I'll try to post some pictures of it later.

Per
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

The belly numbers was found after some laying on my back and scrubbing, but not typically HD number? 249-11015, same number on left and right case.
249-11015 is a 49 engine, vin would have been near 49FL11015
Peer

Post by Peer »

1950Panhead wrote:
249-11015 is a 49 engine, vin would have been near 49FL11015
Thanks for clearifying that.
The number 2 in front of 49 made me think this is not a HD number, since I have read that all part numbers starts with the Year model...
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

I have read that all part numbers starts with the Year model
Here are some examples of case numbers: https://www.hydra-glide.net/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=5
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Thanks for clearifying that.
The number 2 in front of 49 made me think this is not a HD number, since I have read that all part numbers starts with the Year model...
T
The number on the bottom of the cases was used to track the engine through production and is not a VIN or serial number so it follows a different format. the number you quote is consistent with 1949, which would explain the lack of oil passages, the tapered shaft, and other features. Sorry, but it isn't a '63.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Peer, 2 at the start of the BNs is a code number indicating OHV engine (61ci or 74ci) and as far as Panheads are concerned it was used for 1949 only. (Code 2 was also used for BNs of some Lightweight models in the 1950s.)

Cylinders could be AM but look closely at the base of the front cylinder. Some early H-D Pan front cylinders have no date code but have casting number 120-48 indented.

If there are no 7s on top of 1949 cases then the engine may have originally been 61ci. If so, it could have been a Model E, EL, ES, EP or ELP. (NB: S was recorded only on the paperwork; not stamped on the engine.)
Eric
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

My experience has inferred that any belly number starting with "2" is a 61 cubic inch, measure the height of cylinders.

Peer

Post by Peer »

Buddhahoodvatoloco wrote:My experience has inferred that any belly number starting with "2" is a 61 cubic inch, measure the height of cylinders.
The hight of the cylinders is measured to about 135mm, which equals to about 5,32 inch..
Its hard to measure more accurate with the engine in the frame, but is that number about right for a 61" or 74"??

Per
image3_zpsnl3va5jw.jpg
image3_zpsnl3va5jw.jpg (72.69 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
Peer

Post by Peer »

Speeding Big Twin wrote: Also look on top of each case near the rear engine mounting bolt holes. Are 7s stamped there? If so could you post photos please because H-D used at least two types of 7s for early Panheads if the engine was originally 74ci. When originally 61ci, H-D stamped nothing there.
Eric
Can this be the number 7?
Sorry for the low quality picture..

Per
image1a_zps7d0nedms.jpg
image1a_zps7d0nedms.jpg (50.46 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Those are aftermarket heads on that engine, also aftermarket timer and oil pump along with the definitely early cases. A true Frankenstein.
flat38

Post by flat38 »

I believe that timer to possibly be a Weird Engineering timer. I am the original designer of that timer and may be able to help you with info to make it work.

Return to “Identification”