generator drive gear

Frazier
Bikes: Panhead

generator drive gear

Post by Frazier »

posted on this site all the time many years ago , sold the 48 pan and quite posting about 8 years ago , was also building a S&S pan back then , still have that one . Just got done building a house so now I've got time to finish the bike , the engine is finished I just have to jet the S&S carb for a 74 cu in motor and get a drive gear for the generator but I'm not sure which one to get a 13 tooth or a 14 tooth gen drive gear ? pretty sure i used all S&S gears in the gear case , is there a way to tell which gear to use by counting the teeth on the gear that drives the generator ?
foundationapps
Bikes: 1948 Panhead
1985 FLHTC
2020 Electra Glide Standard
2016 HD Road Glide

Re: generator drive gear

Post by foundationapps »

Morning.

I'm fairly new to the Panhead world, but wrench all the time on my old 48.

If you're using a 65A generator it's 14 teeth. I don't think counting the gears on the gear that drives the generator gear will do it. The 13 tooth gear is a smaller diameter gear and may have gear lash issues.

Hope this helps. I have a spare 13 gear tooth Eastern Cycle gear you can have if it turns out you need a 13 gear tooth. Let me know if you want it.
Frazier
Bikes: Panhead

Post by Frazier »

I did a little more reserche and it looks like a 13 tooth is the one i need , how much do you want for yours ?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The 13 tooth gear is NOT smaller, it is merely a different pitch and is used to change the speed of rotation of the generator. Big Twin generators spin slightly faster than Sportsters to charge more at lower RPMs. Sportsters engines spin at a higher RPM so the generators were slowed down to not damage the armatures. Either will work on a standard two brush generator. The choice has more to do with riding style and engine build specs.
foundationapps
Bikes: 1948 Panhead
1985 FLHTC
2020 Electra Glide Standard
2016 HD Road Glide

Post by foundationapps »

Rubone... I stand corrected. Like my daddy used to say ( really did ), "Boy, only let people think you're a dumbass, don't open your mouth and remove all doubt. Thanks for straightening that one out.

Frazier,, PM me your address or where you want it mailed to, i'll send it to you. No $$$, part of the learning lessons lesson.

Respectfully
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Just a reminder guys- make sure the drive gear fits properly on the armature shaft with absolutely no slop. Some of the aftermarket gears are poorly made, and do not fit the shaft, resulting in a damaged armature shaft or much worse destruction in the gear case.
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Check the mesh with the idler gear also whichever gear you use. My 49 belly number right case has been "Ruined" by drilling out for 5/16 bolts for a 65A generator. It ran for years with a 14 tooth that meshed, in my opinion, way too tight. Like had to be tilted into place too tight. I put on a 13 and was better but still too tight. So I slipped a business card onto the saddle, then tightened and it felt good. Why? Anybody's guess, holes redrilled crooked?
But you check the lash in the rest of the gearcase why not the genny?

My two cents
Andygears

Return to “Generator”