Clutch lift

Trogg
Bikes: flh 1959, 850 Commando, 50 Inter, 2 x ES2's, Model 7, Bsa sloper, Triumph Sprint

Clutch lift

Post by Trogg »

I have just rebuilt the gearbox and set up the mousetrap and clutch as per the book. (59FLH)
It seems as if the clutch does not lift very far. In one book it states 5/32" clutch lift but I only seem to get about 3/32". (Measured on the pressure plate)
The clutch seems to drag a bit even fine tuning the 3 nuts for even lift. Not knowing the history of the bike, are there different release fingers that may give more lift? The only thing that is not standard is the later type release bearing.

Cheers
Paul
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Re: Clutch lift

Post by Mark44 »

Trogg wrote:I have just rebuilt the gearbox and set up the mousetrap and clutch as per the book. (59FLH)
It seems as if the clutch does not lift very far. In one book it states 5/32" clutch lift but I only seem to get about 3/32". (Measured on the pressure plate)
The clutch seems to drag a bit even fine tuning the 3 nuts for even lift. Not knowing the history of the bike, are there different release fingers that may give more lift? The only thing that is not standard is the later type release bearing.
I would look at these things first.
1. Is the pushrod adjusting screw set correctly? See 4B Transmission - Clutch. If the adjusting screw is too far out, that affects the position of the clutch lever. You don't need much of a gap here.
2. Is there any play anywhere in the clutch linkage?
3. Is the release bearing thicker than the OEM release bearing?
4. Is the push rod (that pushes against the clutch release bearing) too short?
5. How worn are the steels and friction disks in the clutch? If the disks are too thin or there aren't the right number of them, things won't work right. When I replaced the disks in my Rivera-Primo clutch, I had to do some mixing and matching to get things to work correctly.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”