Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Another wiring question

Post by PanRider »

Finally got the 62 wired. Seemed like everything was going sweet. Turned switch on and idiot lights lit up. Started bike and gen light went out but when I shut it off it came on, stayed on until it ran the battery down. Any ideas where I went wrong? Oil light pressure indicator light stayed on. But there was oil pressure. Checked my filter and it was full. Wiring!%*&+#@!!
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: Another wiring question

Post by PanPal »

You say you shut it off. You are talking about the ignition switch right? With the stock ignition switch in the off position straight up and down, all lights should be off, the horn may still work. The oil indicator light should go out when the bike is running and come on when it is not running if the switch is on. A full oil filter with the bike off does not mean you have pressure. Was this light on with the bike running? If so you may have been pumping the sumped oil on the scavenge side out of the belly through the filter to the oil tank but not pumping on the pressure side of the pump. Or you have a bad oil pressure sending unit. What ignition switch are you using?
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

Very little info to go on. Sorry, need more detail.
Is it an original 6V system? Is the bike re-wired fresh? Did you polarize the generator? Did the cutout points stick closed? Have you verified oil pressure with a gauge?
I suggest pics please, so we can get a better idea. For example under dash, cutout/reg, etc.
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

62, 12 volt, I wired it. Switch is an aftermarket switch. I had difficulty finding bulb sockets that would fit in my dash but did find some finally. I'll have to look at my wiring diagram tonight to see how they are wired but I was certain I had it wired right. But, results show otherwise. After getting it wired up, I hit the switch and neutral, oil and generator light come on. Perfect. I started the bike and the lights - oil light stayed on, gen light went out. When I turned the bike off the gen light came on. I watched it dim and thus the battery drained. I polarized the gen each time I remove the battery. I'm hoping to dig into it this weekend. History is I bought bike several years ago, got it mechanically sound... I thought. That is I had it a one kicker, fixed brakes and put on only a very few miles. Oil was leaking at the time and I thought it was a lot of sumping because it hadn't been run in awhile. Turns out I've got a couple leaks I need to deal with - tranny main seal and leak at the front cylinder. Been advised that as long as I'm taking the front head and cylinder off I should take the rear off as well just to check it out. Would like to get the damn wiring problem fixed before tearing down so hope to get to it this weekend. Although the wiring doesn't seem like rocket science it can be a real pain in the ass. Couldn't get my tail light to work and finally figured out with new paint, tail light wasn't grounded. A celebration after that. After a month or more looking for bulb sockets for the dash finally found some at NAPA that work so another celebration.
I appreciate the comment regarding oil pressure. Before starting the bike I had difficulty getting it started so I had done a lot of kicking. I checked the oil filter to see if any oil was getting to it and it was full so I assumed the pump was pumping. How do I determine if the pump is working if I can't get the bike started? And if I do get the bike started, will looking in the oil tank to see if oil is returning tell me? From your comment I assume not. Could be the sumped oil yet? Before tear down oil pressure sending unit was working, although when bike idled low the light would come on. I've read that isn't a problem. Light would go off when idled up. I need to pull the dash cover to see what's happening in that mess and I need to figure out if my oil pump is pumping. Your comments are welcome.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Remove dipstick, check if oil returns.
Reproduction oil switches don't work, light only goes out at high rpm.
Scrap
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

I don't know if the 62 is different from the earlier models. Did you put new bulb sockets in the dash? Are they insulated from the dash? If they are grounded at the dash, the oil light will stay on all the time. When the oil sending unit reaches the proper pressure, it opens the ground to the bulb. Your sockets should be insulated from the dash and have a ground wire (to the sending unit) and a hot wire to the ignition switch. I tried to do this myself, sent the dash to Perry Ruiter, he has a special tool to do the job, not sure if he is still doing this work.
Sam
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

Scrap is right, they are an insulated bulb socket. They can't be swapped with the likes of a speedo light which uses a grounded socket.
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

That could be it. I'll send pics this weekend to get comments to know for sure. But that sounds logical. The sockets I have are metal to metal, thus grounded I would assume. What does one do with the sockets to prevent the grounding?
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

The sockets are special-the metal outer shell is not attached to the electrical contacts.
Scrap
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Perry Ruiter www.ruiter.ca contact him, his work is tip top. price very fair. DIY? obtaining the sockets may be possible, staking them to dash may not be easy.
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

Scrap wrote:Perry Ruiter http://www.ruiter.ca contact him, his work is tip top. price very fair. DIY? obtaining the sockets may be possible, staking them to dash may not be easy.
Perry did excellent work for me. He has the special sockets and the press and tools to crimp them in.
Beautiful work.

Return to “Electrical”