Late Panhead cases

Identification of case numbers and cylinder heads
justFil
Bikes: Panhead 1960 chop
Genny Shovelhead 1967

Late Panhead cases

Post by justFil »

Just got these engine cases off ebay that were sold as NOS although I am not really sure if they were never run. I just got them and inspecting them they are sure very nice compared to others I have seen. There are no numbers on the outside of the cases beside the 2 belly ones but the inside numbers are all there.
can anyone tell me if they really are factory replacment cases?
also I am not sure abou the year. They do have internal oil lines as my 60 but the cam cover area is more like a 63-65 that should have external oil lines :?:
what do you guys think about it?
thanks
Attachments
panhead2.jpg
panhead2.jpg (120.35 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
panhead1.jpg
panhead1.jpg (115.42 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
IMG_7572.PNG
IMG_7572.PNG (273.17 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
IMG_7569.PNG
IMG_7569.PNG (230.72 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Re: Late Panhead cases

Post by nmaineron »

They aren't 63-65 or they would have a top center hole on the pinion side cover for the OS oiling,these oil internally up the cylinders.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

What are the casting codes? They will tell you when they were made. They look like late Panhead era cases machined as replacements for early Panhead. That was common practice for H-D after new castingss were introduced.
justFil
Genny Shovelhead 1967

Post by justFil »

here are the numbers, in fact one side is 55 and another one says 63-65 but they have internal oil lines! therefore I guess that as you said HD could have machined it to fit older models

I'd be nice if there were truly NOS as I had super bad luck with my 1960 cases...
Attachments
IMG_7567.PNG
IMG_7567.PNG (305.43 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
IMG_7566.PNG
IMG_7566.PNG (293.7 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Those pictures show casting numbers but not the date codes (they are there, just can't see them in that picture) What are they. And they do not appear NOS to me, look like they have been run. Those casting numbers are right for late Pan cases and were machined and sold as '58-'62 replacements.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

What is the date on the pad below the 63 65 numbers? Looks like they were made in 68.
VPH-D
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

R-H date code may be 1 -68 indicating Jan 68 casting. As noted, there are no holes to accommodate 63–65 top end oil feed. Behind the area for the rear tappet guide there is a flat surface to accommodate a 66-later oil line. The cam cover area across the top has the beefier appearance of 65–69 models more or less. Looks like the boss for a relay bracket (64-earlier) has been machined.

Notice the characters in the R-H casting number are spaced (63 65) and the earliest example I have of that gap is from Jan 66. It seems to begin unspaced (6365) and I have examples of that from April, June, August and October 64. For Jan 65 I have two examples of it with a letter at the end: 6365 A. The A seems to be dropped at some stage though and as early as May 65 it goes back to just 6365. Then as early as Jan 66 the spaced version (63 65) appears and that seems to continue on through 1969. Notice below 65 there appears to be a cast-in circle. Often in that circle is the letter E but in some instances the E appears absent although I do not know why. Below the date code is a cast-in letter which looks like D. Sometimes instead of D is the letter N and these two letters seem to make their first appearance sometime during 1967 but I don’t know what they indicate.

On the left case, casting number 24541 55 was used for 1955–69 models. Circled E is present as I’d expect. As with the R-H case, the left case has what looks like the letter D cast-in and sometimes instead of D on the left case there is N, with these two letters seeming to make their first appearance during 1967. I can’t see a date code on the left case and I consider this unusual if it was cast about the same time as the R-H case. I have several examples of these left cases with no date codes but most appear to be 1955–56 models and I’m guessing at least some 1957 models don’t have date codes either. The earliest date code I have on a 24541 55 case is 12-7 for Dec 57. I have others for 1958–68 and I’d expect to find some for 1969 as well so it seems unusual for that left case not to have a date code if it was cast around the same period as the R-H case. Notice the drain plug boss appears unmachined.

Number 68 underneath each case suggests they are a matched pair although it doesn’t necessarily indicate the year they were cast and/or machined. We’ve seen similar ID before: sometimes two numbers, sometimes three, but on occasion only one number on each half. Near each 68 it looks like there are punch marks but I don’t know what they indicate.
Eric
justFil
Genny Shovelhead 1967

Post by justFil »

Thanks so much for the explanation Eric.
Then I guess it is ok to say they really are replacement cases made in 68 and machined by the factory to be early 58-62 , correct?
Although I am pretty sure they were used a little, maybe of for a show bike or whatever as the internal red treatment is degraded.

I just hope all my oem engine parts (including the cam cover) will fit nicely when I'll be replacing my stock 60 cases in a while :wink:
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Yes, they appear to be H-D replacements. R-H case seems to have been cast in Jan 68. I don’t see a date code on the left case and I consider that unusual for one cast in 68. However, it does have what looks like the letter D cast-in and that marking seems to make its first appearance during 1967. It also has the circled E which according to Palmer indicates Eck Industries. And the numbers underneath suggest the cases are a matching pair. I agree the cases seem to have been set up for 58–62.
Eric

Return to “Cases / Heads”