Tighting primary and secondary chain

dechenb
Bikes: 61 Panhead

Tighting primary and secondary chain

Post by dechenb »

I am new to working on my panhead. I notice that my primary chain was very loose so I read my Manuel on how tighten the primary and then tighten the secondary. I started the bike up and it now makes a rubbing notice when I pull the clutch in. I had loosened both the trany mounts and the adjustment bolts. I think that I mite have gotten the trany out of square to the motor. Any suggestions on what to do to fix this problem or does that sound like my problem? Thanks for the help dechenb
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Re: Tighting primary and secondary chain

Post by panz4ever »

The adjustment screw on the right rear of your tranny will only pull it straight back and not side to side. You didn't mention the year of your bike, but if it is a drum rear you also have to readjust the length of the brake rod. Take your chai guard off and look to see if the rear chain is running true. If not you need to adjust the rear wheel. Wondering if the sound is coming from the chain rubbing against your fender.
dechenb

Post by dechenb »

This a 1961 Panhead. It's only when I engage the clutch, that is chatters. I have gone thou my manual and it talks about a chattering clutch and to see 101, 102 but I can't find anything about 101, 102 at all. How can I tell if the rear chain is running true? thanks
Wolvertone
Bikes: 1949 El
1965 XLCH
1972 XLH
1995 Road King

Post by Wolvertone »

Put the bike on a lift. Slowly rotate the rear wheel forwards. The chain should track over the center of the rear sprocket. You can over adjust one side to see what it looks like when it's really bad. Then you get a feel for where it should be.
dechenb

Post by dechenb »

ok thanks, any ideas on whats making the clutch to chatter. Thanks Brian
Wolvertone
Bikes: 1949 El
1965 XLCH
1972 XLH
1995 Road King

Post by Wolvertone »

Dry clutches will chatter when you squeeze the clutch lever. That's part of the charm.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

dechenb wrote:ok thanks, any ideas on whats making the clutch to chatter. Thanks Brian
If they're chattering when you release the clutch lever (disengage), the disks are probably dirty. Take the clutch apart (remove the pressure plate and springs as an assembly) and clean all disks. Scuff up the fiber disks with coarse sandpaper, reassemble. Adjust per manual.
dechenb

Post by dechenb »

It chatters when I am in gaging the clutch. Pull the clutch handle in.

Return to “Chains & Belts”