Clutch hub puller Problems

Kryzstov
Bikes: 1955 Panhead FL

Clutch hub puller Problems

Post by Kryzstov »

I'm in the process of putting in a new clutch hub, but unfortunately 1 of the 3 pins is stripped so Im not really able to use the clutch hub puller. I'm getting a little freaked out because I can't get the hub off. Does anyone have any ideas? Please?

I'm considering putting a nail through the carter pin hole, but maybe that's to ghetto?

(The pin in the photo without a nut is the stripped one)
Stripped_Pin_sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Clutch hub puller Problems

Post by Bigincher »

Sure, go for 'ghetto'. Stack some washers under the nail if you need to even out the puller.
A nail might be too soft, maybe a drill bit that fits? But that might be too brittle.
When you use that puller, when you get a bunch of tension on it, you might have to give the center bolt a firm rap. Give her Hell, you'll get it.
Kryzstov

Post by Kryzstov »

When you use that puller, when you get a bunch of tension on it, you might have to give the center bolt a firm rap. Give her Hell, you'll get it.
Thanks so much for the great idea on the drill bit and washers! You absolutely correct, the nail bent.

So, it's ok to get aggressive with the puller? I'm so nervous I'm going to damage something. I of course have removed the clip, and re-attached the Clutch Nut keeping it two turns backed off from the hub...
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I can't really tell in the picture, but the hub nut- long nut that holds the hub onto the mainshaft- should be removed, and the pushrod removed. The center bolt of the puller contacts the end of the mainshaft.
It's normal to need a bit of tension on the puller center bolt. When it feels like it doesn't want to go any more, give it a whack on the end of the center bolt. A 40-oz hammer works well.
When the hub pops off, don't lose the half-moon key.

But watch your eyes! I can envision the drill bit snapping in half and flying into your face. Be careful!
Kryzstov

Post by Kryzstov »

IT WORKED!! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. You have no idea how nervous I was haha. Thanks again!
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

You're welcome. Now you know what to do next time!

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”