oil pump question

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Bsimmons1
Bikes: 65 panhead

oil pump question

Post by Bsimmons1 »

so iv replaced the spring and ball in my oil pump but i still have what seems like a lot of oil coming out of the chain oiler hole i was wonering if i could just plug it off
IMG_1165.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: oil pump question

Post by Bigincher »

Are you talking about the hole in the cover? The gasket should block it off, so by all means, block it off. If you look at a new gasket, it won't have that hole in it.
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

That hole just under the last 0 (zero) don't do nadda, and it is not a hole for a chain oiler.

I know because I have the exact same cover on my pump that I just overhauled for my project bike. And I read your other thread concerning this same issue

I just looked at a pump where that cover bolts to, and there is nothing on the pump.......no hole. And it had nothing to do with a rear chain oiler.

Now looking at the picture a bit closer, are you sure that it is not cracked?? It looks like the boss where the oil line is connected might be cracked at the base. And after blowing up the photo, is there a corrosion hole on the oil line mounting boss? Or just crud?

For a rear chain oiler, my parts manual shows that it screws into the boss, then the oil line connected to it, look at your parts manual, my book 58-68 Parts catalog, shows the rear chain oiler as Part number:

60307-54 Body Chain Oiler (54-62) item number 86
60307-65 Body Chain Oiler (65-67) item number 87

The last one 87, I have a nos one in my basement because, my silly fat fingers ordered the incorrect one for my 58FL

Warm oil will go places you can't imagine..........we just had a helicopter with leak, took all day to confirm and isolate the location/component that was at fault. When warm, a tablespoon of oil will make ya think it's a quart.

Look at the cover and fittings real good with a strong flashlight and mirror and with the cover cleaned off really good, run the bike and check everywhere around the pump.

At work, we use small pump pressurized bottles filled with alcohol, blow the area to be inspected off with compressed air, then run the system in question and inspect while under pressure.
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

OK,

Now am I confusing myself??

I started reading Palmers second edition book about pumps, and on page 292 at the bottom of the page is a photo of pump bodies.

The pump second from the right has a hole where the pump cover goes.

My pump does not have that hole in it. However the pump cover that I have does have the hole, unlike the cover on page 293 upper right photo last cover.

What is it for?

And in addition, my parts book shows part number 26265-65 tube, oil pump body. What is the tube for?

I have been looking on the net for a while this morning and I have found covers that are without the hole, and some with set screws in them, and like mine with the hole.

What am I overlooking?

Confused George :oops:
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The cover mentioned above with the hole is a '65-'67 cover for the iron pump used on those years. Due to the electric start changes to the crankcases the hole was added in the cover to fit over the oiler pipe that protrudes through it. There was no longer a cavity in the crankcase for the oiler due to the change in the breather system for '65 up.
It fits this pump body. So the question is why is there no pipe on that pump? If it was not plugged off of course oil will come out of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Greer
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Robbie,

Thank you for that.

George
Bsimmons1

Post by Bsimmons1 »

thanks guys for all the responces so my oil pump cover isnt cracked by the fitting it looks like it is but its actull extra metal right there. my pump didnt have a tube coming out of it like pictered above. so today i pluged off the hole and took it for a ride and once it got warm there was oil coming out of everywwhere thru the gaskets and dripping out of the heads from the pushrod tubes so im kinda lost this cant be right. is my oil pump not working correctly i checked and it returning oil so i dont know need some help with this one
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

So, before you plugged that hole you had no leaks?
Did you probe into the hole before you plugged it to confirm it stopped at the gasket?
Bsimmons1

Post by Bsimmons1 »

no theres always been oil coming from it i just had a tube running to the primary so oil wasnt running all over but it was still leaking from the inner primary
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

If you plugged it and oil "came out everywhere" you have a crankcase venting issue. Is the breather hole plugged? It HAS TO BE OPEN.
Bsimmons1

Post by Bsimmons1 »

ok thats what i was wonderin so my motor is a 65 left case 57 right idk if this would make a difference? but i looked and there is no crank vent on my motor. this what it should be correct?
$_1.JPG
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

That won't work. You are at the classic point of mismatched incompatible parts. So now you need to custom fab a breather (there is no passage in the '65 case for it). The best way is to tap into the right case where the welch plug is in the breather passage behind the oil pump, install a fitting, and a breather hose routed behind the tranny, just like H-D did it in '65 and up. Without it you will have leaks, lack of power, smoking, etc...
Bsimmons1

Post by Bsimmons1 »

damn ok. so is this where it need to be drilled
IMG_1428.JPG
Bsimmons1

Post by Bsimmons1 »

where can i find the proper way to go about this
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Robbie already gave you the solution, I don't think the answer is in any books. For sure you're going to have to pull the motor to have access. Pay attention to clearance BEFORE you pull the motor. Not much room there, it looks like.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”