Clutch release bearing

KB65
Bikes: HD Pan - HD Shovel

Clutch release bearing

Post by KB65 »

I am using the large "Bell" shaped release bearing # 37310-39.....
Screenshot (143).png
I purchased a new Push Rod...#37285.

...........it has the groove cut on the end for a clip...( smaller wafer shaped bearing style ? )

Is it Ok to use this push rod for the Bell shaped bearing ?

.......or do I need to use push rod WITHOUT groove for clip?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Clutch release bearing

Post by Bosheff »

The -39 throw out bearing will not slide over and shoulder up on the newer style pushrod. If there is a groove cut in the pushrod, it is intended to be used with the dime size roller bearings (2 and a flat washer). If there is a taperered end on the pushrod, it is intended to be used with the -39 throw out bearing. Keep in mind that there are 3 different length pushrods used before 1975....bosheff
KB65
Bikes: HD Pan - HD Shovel

Post by KB65 »

Thanks again for the info...I ordered the wrong push rod....another lesson learned about this bike
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

KB65 wrote:Thanks again for the info...I ordered the wrong push rod....another lesson learned about this bike
Join the club. I doubt there is one member here that have not done that once or twice (or 20..);)
It's a part of the learning process. That's why we're here, to educate and get educated. Knowledge is power - it's what's separates us from the rest of them
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Just a head up, if you bought the clutch bearing from V twin, you may need to work on it a bit to get it rotating smoothly. If I remember correctly its was a problem with the assembly process. I also flushed out some metal grit from the bearings on the one I had. There is also a wiper for this style that aids in oiling the balls. Just in case you are changing over from the million dollar dime set up to the Bell set up.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”