Help with rear section on a Panhead straight leg frame

whenpancomestoshovel
Bikes: Pan

Help with rear section on a Panhead straight leg frame

Post by whenpancomestoshovel »

Hi,

Some time back I bought a straight leg frame which had been chopped up. Aside from raking it extensively, I found that a previous owner had cut off the right hand side of the frame rails going from the seat post to rear axle, and widened it to allow for more room for a car tire (swedish style). The left side looks fairly intact to me.

I'm doing my best to restore it to somewhat original. I've made a frame jig to fixate the engine mounts during restoration (big thanks to BigIncher for plans), and cleaned up the rake/top tube of the bike. Next step is to fix the right side frame rails.

My idea was basically to cut off the modified frame rails and make a replica of the left side (aside from the chain bends). Then I started eyeing frames online and saw a slight bend at the top of the upper frame rail. Like on the frame below. My left side (the intact one) does not have this bend. I suppose it's to allow for more cylinder clearance.

It actually seems like Harley did specify this bend on their original blueprints. However, it's far too blurry for me to read.

Trying to summarize my thoughts:

*Are these "bends" suppose to be on both sides for cylinder clearance, or only needed on the cam cover side?

*Anyone have better drawings of this (or these?) bends?

*If someone could grab some pictures of this/these bends I'd be very grateful. Unfortunetly, I cannot mount an engine myself to check for clearance.

Big thanks in advance. Have a great weekend.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Help with rear section on a Panhead straight leg frame

Post by Bigincher »

Yes, both sides have the bend you are referring to, and are symmetrical to each other. I don't know the degree. I have access to several frames for reference. In fact, I think I know of a rear section of a frame you might be able to buy. That might be something you'd want to consider, and would sure help taking the guesswork out of the equation. If you want to pursue that, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

I found that a previous owner had cut off the right hand side of the frame rails going from the seat post to rear axle,
I have made these tubes before and it is hard work.
The tubes bend inward as they come to the seat yoke then they bend inward and down to meet the backbone.
Are you in Sweden?
How are you going to bend the tubes?
whenpancomestoshovel
Bikes: Pan

Post by whenpancomestoshovel »

I've seen the rear section from V-twin, if this is what you're referring to. Things just get too expensive to ship and get through customs to Sweden, so I try to make as much as I can on my own.

I cut off the complete rear section except for the lower left leg. All of the other had been replaced, as expected. I will get some 1" tubing and give it my best shot. My idea is to make a die out of steel, using a lathe. The edge profile will be half circular (1" diameter). To achieve the bends I will bend the tubes using this die, while applying heat. I'm hoping this will work adequatly for the main bends, but for the valve covers some other idea will probably have to be applied. Worst case is to achieve the clearance but pressing the tube to be oval, or even cut out a section through the tube.

Forgive my horrible explanation. If anyone has a better idea how to achieve this, please chime in. :)

Return to “Frame & Fittings”