Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Tank Sealer

Post by Scrap »

This is actually for my 1980 FLT, I thought there would be more experience at the Panhead board. Has anybody had good luck with "Bill Hirsch" tank sealer. The claim is that it wont breakdown from ethanol. If you have used it, and were certain that you had prepared the tank properly, let me know if it worked or failed.
Thanks,
Sam
58demon
Bikes: 1958 FLH Duo-glide, 1993 FXSTS restored

Re: Tank Sealer

Post by 58demon »

Sam,

Never used Bill Hirsch sealer but I have used the KBS sealant products (kits) with 100% satisfaction on several of my own tanks and many at the shop. This stuff hardens like steal so make sure your plugs fit tight when you use it. Also if you are sealing tanks and have concerns about damaging paint I use Kreem fuel tank mask to cover areas of concern.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealers.html

http://www.kreem.com/tankmask.html

Good luck
Joe
Scrap
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Joe,
Thanks for the reply. According to the KBS site, their product is moisture cured. The Bill Hirsch website stresses the fact that their sealer is not moisture cured. I have no idea why one method may be better than the other. I'm not a chemist (I don't even play one on TV) Thanks for the tip about Kreem.
Sam
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

In the modern paint world there are all kinds of technology options; whether for architectural, industrial maintenance, home, or auto/cycle uses. In the industrial coatings world I came from there was always numerous performance test results to help support superiority against other companies or within your own product line. Perhaps both mfg's would give you a more exhaustive Q panel list of constituents tested against? In the end you have to weigh what they tell you, the number of components, the number of coats, the mil thickness, final costs, etc. and still wonder if the final coating will hold up to modern fuels. I like the KBS website for a huge amount of information, didn't check out the other one yet.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”