Intake seals question...

Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
ratchet449mc
Bikes: Frankenstein Panhead - pan motor shovel chassis....

Intake seals question...

Post by ratchet449mc »

I bought a set of after market heads for my pan while waiting on Head Hog to restore my 48's. I also got a set of peek seals. All the other heads I've had in the past were set up for o-rings and these new ones have plumber inserts. My question is; which direction does the chamfer on the seals face??? My old manual shows the chamfer facing toward the manifold, but my heads have a chamfer on the inside of the inserts. the packing nuts have a flat on the inside which leads me to think that the chamfer should be facing toward the head.. I tried to pm Cotten, figuring he would know if anyone would, But I guess I didn't do it correctly, so I'm turning to the forum for an answer.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Intake seals question...

Post by RUBONE »

Normal assembly is with the sealing ring chamfer facing the manifold. They function the same as plumbing compression fittings, hence the "plumber heads" nickname. The nuts should have a matching bevel so that as they are tightened it crushes the ring tightly around the manifold and surface of the head.
ratchet449mc
Bikes: Frankenstein Panhead - pan motor shovel chassis....

Re: Intake seals question...

Post by ratchet449mc »

Thanks Rubone... Guess I need to put on my glasses or get a different pair of packing nuts. I'll be tearing the manifold off to take another looksee. Probably need to put my mind in gear before putting my ass in motion...

Return to “Carburetor/Fuel system”