Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
foundationapps
Bikes: 1948 Panhead
1985 FLHTC
2020 Electra Glide Standard
2016 HD Road Glide

About J&P Cycles and their new "policy"

Post by foundationapps »

I propose a boycott of JP. While been very tolerant of their poor customer service, cheap crap, and wrong filling of orders, i'm done with that amateur act.

"IF, these parts were ever in stock, THEY MIGHT WORK fine. Been ordering them since Oct last year, never in stock, now i'm told JP wont ship orders until ALL parts are on hand.

Bit of advice, CALL for parts availability and don't order anything that isn't on hand. Been waiting for 3 weeks to get nothing accomplished.

There is too much competition to do business like that, I've just cancelled my last order from JP. Their customer service was doing better until some genius decided to change their ordering / delivering policy."

Lets start a movement. Order for an out of stock spark plug held up and entire order for 3 weeks, effin spark plugs!!!! Their response, "i'm sorry, that's our policy", sounded like a federal bureaucrat. Let's bring them down with INACTIVITY.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: About J&P Cycles and their new "policy"

Post by Bigincher »

I've been boycotting Jay-Pee for seven years. Welcome to the club! I don't understand why people spend good money with f#cked up people for cheap shitty parts that don't fit, at an inflated price. Why? Because they don't know any better. There are many many other sources for everything motorcycle. All you have to do is look farther than the paid ads on Google. Ask around a bit before you buy, and save yourself the grief. And money too.
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

I have always supported my local Motorcycle shops and I recommend everyone do the same. I have never done business with JP. They are retail competition for your local shops. Yes my dollars are hard earned but I do not mind paying a few coins more for the face to face customer service and advice you will get locally.

John
foundationapps
1985 FLHTC
2016 HD Road Glide

Post by foundationapps »

Good points on both above responses. Thanks gents for the realignment reminder.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

I propose a boycott of JP. While been very tolerant of their poor customer service, cheap crap, and wrong filling of orders, i'm done with that amateur act.
In the past JP shipped parts when they had them, I have received four boxes from a single order.
Shipping costs money, either theirs or yours, they are reducing shipping costs.
If you are unhappy with their parts or service search for better parts and service.
Or call and ask them to ship what they have and cancel the rest.
I have ordered parts from every antique parts seller in the country, jp has the best service of the lot.
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

I've got the exact opposite problem with J&P. I tick the box that instructs : "Yes, please wait and ship all my items together". ..and they still fragment the order into 4 shipments!
My needs are somewhat different as I need items freighted to New Zealand so I use a freight forwarder in Oregon. Multiple packages turning up at my freight forwarder isn't helpful. I'm charged on package quantity, volumetric and/or weight. I received a shipment this morning and to cut a longer story short I would have been much, much better off having J&P send those items direct.
Part of the problem is the extreme bloated size of the packaging, here's an absolute classic example:
720d10dea0871d0b762cb3c5b51c1054.jpg
720d10dea0871d0b762cb3c5b51c1054.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
Look at the size box they sent that washer in!! To add insult to injury there was supposed to be 2 washers, J&P messed up with the quantity.
My boxlot this morning was 20% parts to 80% stuffing/bubblewrap etc. The excess volumetric really wrecked it for me and that was with the freight consolidator repacking 2 items!!

I've complained to J&P before about parcel sizing, etc but It seems I as a customer are a disposable commodity so
I'm keen to look elsewhere for a parts supplier to better suit my needs. Ideal would be a place that has inventory online, free shipping within US and with a moto of :"Yes we can".
Can anyone suggest a supplier that genuinely listens, realizes the value of a customer and doesn't simply suit themselves??

BTW, some of you will recall my earlier struggle with my J&P account. Something would go haywire in their system and it was making duplicate accounts. I can say that the duplication has stopped though my NZ billing address still got overwritten with my (Oregon) shipping address. I've let the incorrect address stay because it works and doesn't seem to matter that my billing address is some 7000 miles away (insert smiley that's shaking its' head here)
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

You're right, Excalibur. They don't give a shit about you, just your money.
Our buddy here, Good Old Bob, and his Good Old Company, claims to stock every part he sells. With that policy, there's no way he stocks everything, but might be worth a shot.
58demon
Bikes: 1958 FLH Duo-glide, 1993 FXSTS restored

Post by 58demon »

I have used J&P in the past but only for my 93 FXSTS parts and can't even count the number of times I had to do returns. I help out at my buddies shop and it is a nightmare when customers bring in their own parts especially from "Junk & Pointless". Majority of the time it doesn't fit and they pay for the wasted time, have to return part and end up ordering the correct one from him which they should have done from the start. Here are few sites i have had luck with finding those missing pieces and never have I received an OUT OF STOCK email from.

http://www.tomsnosparts.com/
http://www.robsusedharleyparts.com/photos/index.php
https://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com/
http://www.45restoration.com/Default.aspx
http://www.masclassics.com/latest.html
http://www.jeffsamericanclassics.com/parts.html
foundationapps
1985 FLHTC
2016 HD Road Glide

Post by foundationapps »

Excalibur, I can feel your pain, NZ has to be a great place to be, but a real PAIN to get things shipped to. I looked up Deluxe HD Restorations, I like how that site is set up. I plan to send some business their way. I'm finding myself digressing on the progression of this bike, meaning, It has some nice forward footpegs (Kuryakin Switchblades), but repop footboards are going on the second the brackets arrive from NOT JP. A good heel and toe shifter went on yesterday. Had the original rubber shifter pegs in a bag that came with the bike. They went back on, one peg exited the planet after if vibrated off.

The saga continues...
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

In fairness to J&P, I've ordered quite a few parts from them, without a lot of drama. I've also ordered a bunch of parts from 45Restoration, tomsnosparts, intothewilderness, and Flatland, and maybe a couple of others. I've had reasonably good success with the parts from all of them, and have needed to send back only a couple of items or had orders where they forgot to put in an item that I had ordered.

As someone else noted, there's a checkbox on the J&P order form where you can opt to have everything shipped in a single package, or if something is backordered, you can have them ship the stuff as it becomes available.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I know that J&P recently moved their warehouse from Anamosa to Loiusville and they say they are several weeks behind on shipping items due to the transition.
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Post by Excalibur »

58d, thanks for the list. Am studying closely as I need a 2-1 exhaust in the near future.

Yes, Deluxe HD Restorations has a nice website ...and they are also selling on Ebay which for me has the bonus of instant (direct) freight calculation.

BTW, returning an item would ordinarily be out of the question. Often postage is more than the item is worth so better to cut ones loses. With my dollar buying only 66c US, I have to be quite critical about what I buy. Firstly I ask myself "are you sure you can't make or repair it?" Despite going to some extreme lengths to reclaim, rebuild or restore things I still spent something like $2500 USD since August on parts incl shipping. For that kind of money, I want good value to say the least.

I read too about the new warehouse in Loiusville Ky. Indeed 2 of my (fragmented) parcel shipments came from there. 1 came from Anamosa. 1 from SoCal.

One plus about J&P is they often have some good prices. The most notable thing was my new heads. None could match J&P's price, not even the manufacturer. Once I realized I needed the heads, it went like this: I had the Gold Club membership which gave 10% discount, then I waited till they had an additional storewide discount. I saved a good chunk of money, however I don't even want to think about what the freight was. It had to come direct (USPS) because the parcel value exceeded what my freight forwarder would handle.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

The Good Old Motorcycle parts Company. If it's on our site it's on the shelf and ships the same day. We don't play the drop ship game. If you need something special it's not a problem. We will give you a real estimation on shipping time before ya pay us. I've been on the other side of this line and built this place to prevent what you guys are going though. Beanie and I try to add five new things a day to the site. Be safe lads and will see ya at Oley. Bob Luland
foundationapps
1985 FLHTC
2016 HD Road Glide

Post by foundationapps »

In defense of customer service attempts. After several reach out attempts, I found a source on the J&P Cycles forum site for a fella. Sent him my sob story on the floorboard mounts, spark plugs and a couple other items I have been missing. He responded that he was going to contact the warehouse and have them over nighted to me, indeed they are on their way. From the Kentucky warehouse. I hope they are on the way up. A move to a new place is a risky venture on the customer service side.

I'll use multiple and smaller companies as I can, JP will probably get the majority of my business as they've provided some dang tough parts to find.

Much appreciated, and I apologize for my previous rant.
ncmc47
Bikes: Sorry don't advertise my stuff on the internet

Post by ncmc47 »

I thought J&P just sold V-Twin parts at a mark up. At one time the part numbers were the same as V-Twin, don't know if that's still the case. I haven't always had the best of luck with J&P parts,

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”