paint codes for hifi blue and birch white

PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

paint codes for hifi blue and birch white

Post by PanRider »

I'm looking for paint codes that will get me paint accurately close to the stock HD colors HiFi Blue and Birch White. I know John Pierce has the paint and he maybe the way I go. He has been highly recommended. But a pint of paint is close to $300! Final costs for paint only are going to be close to $1000. If there are codes out there that would work, it would be good to know. Granted, I want a nice paint job and I want the colors to be the stock colors and I may just have to suck it up and get the paint from John. But I thought it worth the effort to see what other options are out there.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: paint codes for hifi blue and birch white

Post by 1950Panhead »

A few folks have the modern paint codes they have not released them to the public.
You have two choices, you can buy the paint from John or do the color matching yourself.
Hifi red and hifi blue are three stage systems, a silver base metallic followed by a translucent clear (tinted blue or red) followed by clear.
Xotic and House of kolor are two main suppliers, ppg has returned to three stage systems, many modern cars are using three stage paint systems.
Xotic has a color styling book (excellent!) where you lay translucent mylar over base color to get you where you want to go.
http://www.xoticcolours.com/products_cu ... g_book.htm

House of kolor also sells excellent paint, I suspect they have a color book like Xotic but I don't have it, you could check with them.
http://houseofkolor.com/homepage/

If you understand what I wrote I say go for it.
If you don't understand I recommend buying the paint from John.
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

Yea, it’s a real bummer we pay as much or more for paint now days than the bikes we ride cost when new. I have a 1962 FLH with factory paint on the tanks (Hi-Fi Blue & Britch White), the finders were chopped and I wanted to put full finders back on the bike. I had to match the aftermarket finders to the original paint. I painted them fenders three times with no luck, and then I called a friend who is a skilled painter. His first attempt was spot on using House of Kolor translucent blue over Psycho silver. We did not buy the Britch White because I still run the original paint tanks, and no I do not have the codes. HI-FI colors were not a standard option but just like all the others extras could be had for a price. My painter examined the original paint Harley used and they started with silver and sprayed blue over that and the last thing they put was the Britch White gullwing & stripes on it. They did not use clear over base paint at that time but for this type of custom paint I don’t know if there is another option for you. My paint is not an exact match but a man on a fast horse will never know it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply. Photos can be seen in projects section, 62 DUO-Glide Restoration, page 3. I use the word restoration incorrectly, what I really did was fix it up. Restorations are done with all the correct finishes; that I did not know but it runs anyway.
Good Luck with it.
John
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post by 4pans1man »

PANRIDER,

I BOUGHT SOME LETTERS THAT WERE FROM AN INSURANCE COMPANY. STATING THAT DUE TO THE TWO COAT SYSTEM REQUIRED TO PAINT HI-FI OR FLAMBOUYANT COLORS, THEY DID NOT WANT THERE REPAIR SHOPS DOING THESE JOBS OR REPAIRS. THEY LIST THE HI-FI BLUE AS Y-797-66929. STATES, AN ALUMINUM GROUND COAT SYSTEM, FOLLOWED BY TRANSPARENT (Y-797 LINE) COLOR TOPCOATS. BIRCH WHITE IS LISTED AS (93)-74637.

GOOD LUCK, TONY.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Tony hit the head!---The guy that I use -(KENWALL)-in my town can get the color match PERFECT for any color!---He uses a PPG-2-stage system that is connected to a Paint olny database ,A Pint of paint /with the Clearcoat(2-stage)/is $150!!!!---He has matched some real EXOTICS like MARINA-BLUE/GM color & Ferrarri RED,a customer had a drivers gull-door redone & no matter weather outside or under Florescent light,(which show all imperfection as far as matching goes)-You couldnt tell anything was done!.Anybody with a Business DEVOTED to PAINTING,Have the equipment to match ANY color out there!,They can also age it to match a 10 or 5-year oil paintjob so it dont look like just the fender was done-& the rest is OEM.I have watched him in action when mixing my eggplant purple/PPG paint comes in powder form & is Weighed ACCURATELY/Then a test spray on a piece of metal that is exactly the Temp. inside the spray-booth,then Cleare coated & you give the thumbs-up if all is well,or Nay,if it has to be tweaked with a few more grams or GRAINS!.(like measuring gunpowder for your reload set.I was charged nothing/because I take care of his trucks & Bike.It would have cost $600 for body-work,primer,& paint included.Its even easier if you have code numbers!/Try a GOOD BODY/PAINT shop /that was built on reputation & not INSURANCE WORK!----Respectfully----Richie
PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

All good information. Thanks. I'll be talking to my painter.
ChasChuckCharlieHeyYou
Bikes: 1971 Piglet, 1962 FLH, 1942 WLA bob job, 1930 Indian 4

Post by ChasChuckCharlieHeyYou »

I'm repainting my 62 and have a question as my tanks were stripped when I got them.
What is the width of the bottom thin white stripe? and the gap to the wide white swath? It looks to be 1/4" to 3/8" to my eye.
Thanks!
1962FLH
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

1962FLH
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

in the photo is a factory painted HIFI blue and birch white. the white line is 3/8" and blue one is 1/4"
1962FLH
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

the with of the gull wing in this pic.

1962FLH
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

1962FLH
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

1962FLH
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

The last photo shows the distance from the top rear of tank badge to the graphics start and stop points. I hope this helps.
ChasChuckCharlieHeyYou

1962FLH wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:16 pm in the photo is a factory painted HIFI blue and birch white. the white line is 3/8" and blue one is 1/4"
Oh! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! You made me a Happy Camper :D today with the photos!!
ChasChuckCharlieHeyYou

1962FLH wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:31 pm The last photo shows the distance from the top rear of tank badge to the graphics start and stop points. I hope this helps.
Oh it DOES, it DOES!!

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”