1960 panhead rear tire removal

Wheels, hubs and tires
jvinella123
Bikes: 1960 panhead
2014 Street Glide
2015 Street Glide Special

1960 panhead rear tire removal

Post by jvinella123 »

I'm removing my rear tire from my 1960 panhead, and when I try to remove the axle, about half way out, it will not go further.Do I need to remove the five allen head sockets screws that hold the brake drum to the tire so I can get the axle out?
49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Re: 1960 panhead rear tire removal

Post by 49bones »

jvinella123 wrote:I'm removing my rear tire from my 1960 panhead, and when I try to remove the axle, about half way out, it will not go further.Do I need to remove the five allen head sockets screws that hold the brake drum to the tire so I can get the axle out?
Take the weight off the axle a bit, you should be able to remove the axle pin completely and the wheel will still stay in place, then you take the weight and wobble the wheel away from the brake.
49bones
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

jvinella123 wrote:I'm removing my rear tire from my 1960 panhead, and when I try to remove the axle, about half way out, it will not go further.Do I need to remove the five allen head sockets screws that hold the brake drum to the tire so I can get the axle out?

I know in the clymer book it looks like they do it by removing those allen sockets. But you don't need to. Give the axle a twist around and make sure its not squared off anywhere. Shouldn't be but just in case. I'd persuade it softly with a mallet.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

On stock fendered machines the hub needs to be separated from the drum in order to come out. The axle should slide right through, but it is easier to remove the lugs when it is in place. The brake plate sleeve should remain bolted in place to make the whole process simpler, the right side spacer is removed after the axle. Letting the air out of the tire helps as well for more clearance.
49bones
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

RUBONE wrote:On stock fendered machines the hub needs to be separated from the drum in order to come out. The axle should slide right through, but it is easier to remove the lugs when it is in place. The brake plate sleeve should remain bolted in place to make the whole process simpler, the right side spacer is removed after the axle. Letting the air out of the tire helps as well for more clearance.
Are swingers different then?
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Everything Rubone says applies to swing arm frame bikes.

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”