Bikes: 98 fatboy
65 Pan

transmission ID

Post by gallaecus »

121-35 D 7

is this enough info to identify ?
thanks
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: transmission ID

Post by RUBONE »

April '47. It should have a vent fitting hole behind the kicker arm area on a raised boss and flats milled on the two ribs under the shifter lever.
gallaecus
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

im not too good with loading pics yet. do i need photobucket to copy and paste? can it be a 57 trans? can someone post a pic of what i should be looking for ?
thank you and i will look now for the vent
49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

gallaecus wrote:im not too good with loading pics yet. do i need photobucket to copy and paste? can it be a 57 trans? can someone post a pic of what i should be looking for ?
thank you and i will look now for the vent
Hey mate, there is instructions on how to upload a pic, go to the topic Video of my pan on the main pan page and a guys put some details on there. Hope that helps
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

In the 'How to' section you can find the instruction (and others).
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

No, it cannot be a '57 trans. The date codes are different on them and use two digits and no letters. '37 isn't coded, and '67 is E-start, so the only thing left is '47.
gallaecus
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

gallaecus
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

gallaecus
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

The pictures show features consistent with the '47 dating. The kicker cover is later aftermarket along with the kicker arm. Interesting that it was built with the vented screw when it already had a vent. I suggest closing off the vent in the case and just using the screw (make sure the case is drilled all the way through) as the vent in the case is low enough that in heavy rain or washing the bike water gets into it.
gallaecus
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

I do thank you for the assistance in identifying the trans. it is mated to a 65 pan motor with tin primary, foot clutch and tank shift.
Ive been riding 30 plus years and i am not sure I want to use the foot clutch or the tank shift. as i am too accustomed to foot shift, hand lever clutch set up.
so I may sell this transmission.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Im sure you realize it could easily be converted to foot-shift by installing a ratchet top on it.
Like you, I've never ridden a hand-shift in all my 40+ years of riding.
I am building a '52 as close to factory correct as possible, but since '52 was the first year for foot-shift, that's an option for me. However, everyone I know with hand-shift tells me it's a blast.
For me, it's not the clutch or shifting, it's the front brake lever, which is located on the left handlebar on a hand-shift bike. I think I would naturally grab that to shift gears, and it's the damn brake.
So I still haven't decided. I've got all the parts to go either way, including the left side gas tank.
But the foot-shift/hand-shift discussion is about like an oil discussion, and I don't want to pollute your thread.
Bottom line, if you want that trans to be foot-shift, just put a ratchet top on it, and don't mention 'correctness'.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

The engine mainshaft length and transmission mainshaft length on your combo are not compatible. Has the trans mainshft been changed to a '65-'69 type? Or is your motor sprocket spaced oddly? just interested as chains do not line up with your combo.
As for riding footshift only bikes...
I've been riding 50 years and own bikes with handshift low to the rear, low to the front, footshift on the left side, on the right side, up for low, down for low. And ride left hand throttle and right shift when I have to ride an Indian. I guess I miss the point of your last statement.. :mrgreen:
FL54
Bikes: 1948 FL
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1944 BSA WM20
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

+1 what Robbie posted. I have both hand shift and foot shift bikes and you just ride like you should on the bike you're on. You don't forget. It's like shooting different guns. Safety is in different places but you don't forget where it is on the gun you have in your hands. Just my $.02.
gallaecus
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

RUBONE wrote:The engine mainshaft length and transmission mainshaft length on your combo are not compatible. Has the trans mainshft been changed to a '65-'69 type? Or is your motor sprocket spaced oddly? just interested as chains do not line up with your combo.
As for riding footshift only bikes...
I've been riding 50 years and own bikes with handshift low to the rear, low to the front, footshift on the left side, on the right side, up for low, down for low. And ride left hand throttle and right shift when I have to ride an Indian. I guess I miss the point of your last statement.. :mrgreen:

I'm going to look inside the primary case today. What is the correct mainshaft length ? For the 47 trans ? With the 65 pan combo ? Thx.

Return to “Frame / Transmission”