transmission ID

Identification information of frames and transmissions
george48pan
Bikes: 48 panhead

Re: transmission ID

Post by george48pan »

I'm going to look inside the primary case today. What is the correct mainshaft length ? For the 47 trans ? With the 65 pan combo ? Thx.[/quote]

I rode my bike for many years without putting a lot of miles on it. When I started taking it on long trips, I started stretching and tearing up the chain where I had to replace it often. Then I decided to put a belt in. The only way I could tell it was out of alignment was to put the bike up on a table. I have a spline shaft on my motor and a 48 trans. I ended up installing a 12 1/4" main shaft in the trans to line it up with the motor.

Open the primary and use straight edges across the gears. Then you will see if your combination is correct.
gallaecus
Bikes: 98 fatboy
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

Ty George. Can I still use tin primary if I go with a belt ? Or are you talking about an open belt primary ? I like the look of tin primary. But if I can keep it and use a belt, and not have to use oiler in primary, I would consider that. Thx.
george48pan

Post by george48pan »

I have a belt in a closed primary. I vented the inner primary. Drilled holes in front near bottom and rear for air flow. I ride my bike 200 miles and more at a time.
Fill ups for gas are every 100 miles without hitting reserve. Never had a problem with the belt or heat. Installed the belt in 2012

Attached is a picture of the breather I modified to oil the rear chain. I took a piece of brake line and brazed it to the breather.
004 (640x480).jpg
I will try and take pictures of the venting later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gallaecus
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

primary 005_zpsrflg0zkl.jpg
primary 003_zpsqojq9y2b.jpg
primary 002_zpso3rk4fa8.jpg
primary 001_zpshiozpdsj.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gallaecus
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

apparently i have an enclosed belt drive.

the problem is, the clutch is rubbing on the outer primary cover. :shock:
gallaecus
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

if i remove the front sprocket to get at the bolts behind it, maybe i can can get enough play to move the inner primary up enough to clear the clutch?
would putting a block of wood in between the belt and the sprocket be enough to stop rotation and get the nut off?
is there a torque spec for re-tightening the nut ? thx
white1j0
Bikes: '02 Fatboy, '47 Knuckle, '52Pan

Post by white1j0 »

Use a ratchet and socket, give it a good crack with a mallet, right handed thread, should loosen it up, or best use an impact wrench, if interested in swapping I have a '47 Knuckle with a ratchet top tranny, that I'm switching to a tank shifter.
george48pan

Post by george48pan »

Use an air or electric impact wrench. I never had any luck with out the impact.
Use a box wrench if you are going to try and hit it with a hammer. Otherwise you could ruin the edges of the nut when the socket slips off. The clutch hub nut is left hand thread.

I would remove everything and find out why it doesn't line up.
gallaecus
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

The belt lines up just fine, the problem is the clutch housing rubs on the primary cover, there isn't much play either way. I adjusted it so it is much better now
george48pan

Post by george48pan »

What did you adjust? Was the clutch basket loose? Did you have to tighten the clutch hub nut?
gallaecus
65 Pan

Post by gallaecus »

I adjusted the inner primary cover, the clutch hub isn't loose. I raised the cover and re tightened where the cover bolts to oil bag bracket. is that clutch hub too big for tin primary ?
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

RUBONE wrote:The pictures show features consistent with the '47 dating. The kicker cover is later aftermarket along with the kicker arm. Interesting that it was built with the vented screw when it already had a vent. I suggest closing off the vent in the case and just using the screw (make sure the case is drilled all the way through) as the vent in the case is low enough that in heavy rain or washing the bike water gets into it.
Robbie,

Good advice.

I will take it, and replace the case vent with a proper sized screw, and install the one you mention for the top.

Thanks for the tip.

George
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

gallaecus wrote:im not too good with loading pics yet. do i need photobucket to copy and paste? can it be a 57 trans? can someone post a pic of what i should be looking for ?
thank you and i will look now for the vent

Return to “Frame / Transmission”