New STD head problem

PanJud
Bikes: 1962 Duo Glide
1999 Road King

Re: New STD head problem

Post by PanJud »

I've brand new STD's on my 62....glad I didn't have to face that. Happy it worked out for you, though I find it troubling that STD hasn't been falling all over themselves trying to make right. I got food poisoning from a chick fila earlier in the week as we were traveling to fla...I sent corporate an email about a day later...about 15 minutes later, at 10:00 at night, I had people calling my cell phone apologizing over and over (AND, offering me free food coupons.... :shock: )
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Re: New STD head problem

Post by Excalibur »

Thanks for thoughts.

The repair has worked though I haven't been able to ride the bike because the timer is worn. I don't want to risk it till the replacement arrives. I discovered how bad it was when I strobed it. The timing was badly erratic. I'd noticed a bit of pinging which prompted the strobe check. I think over advanced timing will risk detonation, pinging, ring breakage, piston meltdown, etc. Retarded promotes overheating maybe risking seizure, especially considering the fresh rebore. As much as I wanted to ride, I thought the better of it.

Online post tracking shows replacement timer has left country of origin (Canada). Will report back once I get some more miles on the bike.

Return to “Cylinderheads”