Wrong Shocks

Information on forks/springers/shocks
PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Wrong Shocks

Post by PanRider »

Heard a rattel in one of my shocks. Took off the chrome dome and half of the split key fell out. Other half remains engaged. Looked it up in the manual and shocks on y 62 are 67 and later - surprise! My question is, how do I get the half of the split key back where it belongs? Manual says use a shock compressor. Don't have one laying around the garage. Any suggestions or do I have to take this to a shop?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Wrong Shocks

Post by Bigincher »

I made a homemade shock compressor about a million years ago. I may hove posted a photo here. I think someone else also had a photo of their homemade device.
Try a search of the data base here, and good luck with that!
If you come up blank, I can post a photo tomorrow (on phone right now).
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

A shock compressor is just a couple of steel plates and a couple lengths of all thread. Easy to make up.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Here's mine. Maybe overkill, but you get the idea. There is a nut welded to the underside of the top plate. The nut on top of the threaded rod is welded to the rod, on the bottom of the rod the nut is also welded and there's another nut on the bottom, also welded. To compress, I just spin the threaded rod with an air tool, and it moves the center 'sliding section'. The square on the bottom plate holds the bottom of the shock, the half-round cutouts on the 'sliding section' engages the top of the shock.
There may be a simpler design, but I can tell you this contraption works effortlessly. Looking back, it's kind of funny. My partner and I spent an afternoon making up a couple of these, and I only used mine once...! lol

PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

I made a shock compressor. Got the idea from Carl at Carl's Cycle and a friend on the Facebook Classic Pan page. No machining necessary, pieces bought for under $9 and it worked like a dream. Here are some pics to show you what I did. I took a couple old clutch plates, drilled holes in them for 3 threaded rods, double nutted the bottom to keep the rods from turning when compressing the shock. Check it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”