Panhead Rockers

Cooie
Bikes: 1952 WL , 1959 Panhead

Panhead Rockers

Post by Cooie »

Hi this is my first post so take it easy on me - I am new to Panheads (been riding a Flathead for the last 20 Years) and I have a new set of STD heads for my motor and want to recondition my rockers.
I have searched previous posts and can't find the answers so I apologize if they are there somewhere.
Can I machine the rockers and bore the rocker cases to suit the new OD. I am not sure if this will effect the geometry to much.
Any help will be appreciated - I live in Aussie so not too many workshops want to help over here.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Panhead Rockers

Post by 58flh »

Are they that bad??--If yes then a new set of arms & Lap the blocks to them.--Or if the arms are good Then new block must be fitted.Yes you can Ream,But I have found that those arms move so little & are so BEEFY that Its usually the cup & spring pads that need dressing.Like anything Mic. everything & see which way there going.Std Makes GOOD stuff from what I have handled,& IF you really need Alot of work in that dept./They must have been used for 1/4-assaults olny.Even OEM rockers from the 50s are still going strong-Its a Hard part to just go bad/But you dont know what they been thru & I get that.Look in the (KNOWLEDGE-BASE under TOP-ENDS.)-You will find exactly what your looking for -(STD & OEM).Read all you can ,as Theres alot to it & I type with 2-fingers.If you get stuck on something as far as fitting NEW ROCKERS /Guys will help you along.You did the best thing to ASK FIRST!---I have seen cups fubared from wrong P-rods alot.Check them over & get back--PICS say alot!----Respectfully----Richie
Cooie

Post by Cooie »

Thanks Ritchie, The rear exhaust rocker is an early 48, which is the worst, I will replace the rocker any brand recommendation would be helpful.
[img]
Pan%20Rocker%20Ex%20R.JPG
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cooie

Post by Cooie »

The other rockers may be reasonable, I will mike the others and check tolerances, i read on an earlier post 0.001 -2 clearance.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

COOIE---They put USED stuff on NEW castings!--Im going to PM you---Richie
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Looks to me like 3 aftermarket rocker blocks and arms, and one used OEM set.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Guy's Let me educate you. There is only one manufacture of these rocker blocks. I don't care where you get them. Only one. Here is Chinas little dirty secret. They don't have bronze. Period! The tops of those rocker towers are decretive brass. I know, I sent a piece to my test lab in Lansing NY over a year ago. Bronze does not exists in most of the modernize world. Why! LEAD! They couldn't make that part properly if they wanted to. As much as you think they are a manufacturing power house they are not when it comes to bronze. Oil-Lite bronze can only be got in the US. Phos bronze in the Asian sector. no way. It plain and simply doesn't exist there. The bottom line is your stuck with shit. Stick with what you got. Mill a hair off and jig it in the mill and bore it out at .750 and your good to go. I'll take a crap OEM over what's available right now. I hope some body get something out of this. Bob L
Scrap
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Robert Luland wrote:Guy's Let me educate you. There is only one manufacture of these rocker blocks. I don't care where you get them. Only one. Here is Chinas little dirty secret. They don't have bronze. Period! The tops of those rocker towers are decretive brass. I know, I sent a piece to my test lab in Lansing NY over a year ago. Bronze does not exists in most of the modernize world. Why! LEAD! They couldn't make that part properly if they wanted to. As much as you think they are a manufacturing power house they are not when it comes to bronze. Oil-Lite bronze can only be got in the US. Phos bronze in the Asian sector. no way. It plain and simply doesn't exist there. The bottom line is your stuck with shit. Stick with what you got. Mill a hair off and jig it in the mill and bore it out at .750 and your good to go. I'll take a crap OEM over what's available right now. I hope some body get something out of this. Bob L
Bob,
I don't doubt that the rocker towers you tested were ordinary brass, but silicon bronze and phosphor bronze is available from Chinese producers. Lead is not an issue, there are lots of lead acid batteries that come from the far east. I have no experience with Chinese rocker parts, maybe they are all made from brass but if anyone would like to send me a sample, I'd be glad to test it and return it, send me a PM if you're curious.
Sam
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

There brass right on the edge but brass. Phos bronze is available over there but only in very thin sheets. They use it for electrical contacts etc. Nothing in machinable block form. I shouldn't have been so broad. What they can get in machinable block form is aluminum bronze. Why they can get that and nothing else has always puzzled me unless they got a plant there that makes it. We gave a set of prints a few years back for a valve component we were building. It needed to be phos bronze. I don't remember the number but after two months of searching the sub contractor throw the towel in and we ended up sending him the sheets. That was another nightmare for another day. You never want to deal with Chinese customs if you can avoid it. Bob
Cooie

Post by Cooie »

Thanks for your responses, very interesting reading, as I am new to the Pans I find it a little frustrating to say the least.
I have spent hours reading forums about the rocker assemblies and the common vibe is stay away from the Asia made rocker caps and bearings, I think you have just advised us why Bob - thanks for the input. I have not read or found much on the Asian manufactured rocker arms themselves, The little I have read is that these components are reasonable, and can be used with success.
My current though process is to buy new rocker arms and recondition my blocks to suit. Many of the businesses selling these Panhead rocker products DO NOT STATE THE BRAND , and a few have Made in USA in the description and I am not comfortable when I see this.
Can you tell me if I am on the right path here, I am by no means a mechanic but have maintained by own bikes for many years as you have to in Australia if you want to ride old bikes.
I have a good understanding of how it all works just not sure of the finer tolerances, I am not looking to cut corners, I would just like to build a strong runner and have it keep running. This site is providing me with a lot of valuable information and thanks to everyone who contributes as the wealth of knowledge is priceless.
bigbox
Bikes: Panhead 1959. Dirt bikes, current 2013 Switchback 73 Norton and 79 Triumph

Post by bigbox »

Hey Cooie, where about "roughly " in Australia are you. These guys can help you out, they do top work, as in good work. Located in Sydney.
http://www.redgravemc.com

Regards
Cooie

Post by Cooie »

Cheers, I am in Brissy, I am aware of Redgrave although I hadn't given them a thought, thanks for that I will give them a call.

Return to “Cylinderheads”